Jacob A. Knechtges. One of the most prominent business men and representative citizens of Lorain County is Jacob
A. Knechtges, who is president of the Grafton Savings & Banking Company, president of the Grafton Lumber &
Coal Company, treasurer of the Grafton Realty Company, and a director of the Elyria Savings & Trust Company.
He is a native of Lorain County, born in Carlisle Township, Dec. 14, 1864, the son of Michael and Anna (Dietrich)
Michael Knechtges was born in Prussia near Alsace-Lorraine, and came to the United States with his parents in 1840,
when he was three years old. They settled on a farm near Avon, Ohio, where Mr. Knechtges spent his early life.
He entered the employ of the Grafton Stone Company in 1871, and for many years served as superintendent of the
company. He was living retired at Elyria for several years before his death, which occurred in 1923. His wife was
also born in Prussia. She died in 1895. They are buried in Elyria. Mr. Knechtges was a Democrat and held membership
in the Catholic Church. There were ten children born to Mr. and Mrs. Knechtges: 1. Joseph P., in the pulp stone
quarry business, lives at Grafton. 2. Gertrude Flood, lives at Cleveland. 3. Mary, lives at Elyria. 4. Jacob A.,
the subject of this sketch. 5. Mrs. Katherine Stacks, deceased. 6. Margaret O'Connor, lives at Grafton. 7. Emma,
now Mrs. T. C. Washington, lives at Grafton. 8. John W., cashier of the Grafton Savings & Banking Company.
9. Frank, lives at Dearborn, Mich. 10. Celia, lives at Elyria.
Jacob A. Knechtges obtained his education in the public schools. For a period of 15 years he was employed in the
stone quarries and in 1895 established a retail grocery business in Grafton. He became associated in the same business
in 1900 in partnership with J. H. Gorman, at that time adding shoes to the grocery business, and the business still
continues under the firm name of Knechtges & Gorman. He organized the Grafton Lumber & Coal Company in
1908, and in January, 1918, was one of the founders of the Grafton Savings & Banking Company, having been elected
to the office of president at that time and still holds that office.
In 1891 Mr. Knechtges married Miss Theresa O'Connor, the daughter of Thomas and Mary (Whalen) O'Connor, of Lorain
County, both now deceased. They are buried in Elyria. Mr. and Mrs. Knechtges are the parents of the following children:
1. Harlan, a veteran of the World War, lives at Elyria. He married Miss Clara Kirkbride, and they have five children:
Thomas, Patricia, Harold, Jerry, and Mary. 2. Sister Casimer, lives at Buffalo, N. Y. 3. Gertrude, a public health
nurse, widow of George Walsh, lives at Cleveland. 4. Chauncey, married Catherine Ward, and they have three children:
John, Jean, and William. They live at Grafton. 5. Sister Rosalima, lives at Lowellville, Pa. 6. Miles, married
Eleanor Kissling, lives at Elyria, and they have one daughter, Ellen Jane. 7. Alice, teacher, lives at Cleveland.
8. Clement, attends Georgetown University, Washington, D. C. 9. Gilbert, deceased.
Mr. Knechtges is a Democrat and has served as treasurer of Village of Grafton for 25 years, and was postmaster
of Grafton in 1896 and 1897. He and his family hold membership in the Immaculate Conception Church, and he belongs
to the Knights of Columbus.
History of North Central Ohio
Embracing Richland, Ashland, Wayne,
Medina, Lorin, Huron and Knox Counties
BY: William A. Duff
Historical Publishing Company
North Central Ohio Biographies
Names A to C
Names D to G
Names H to K
Names L to P
Names Q to S
Names T to Z
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium