John W. Kennedy. One of the progressive business men of Shelby is John W. Kennedy, who is engaged in the clothing
business, being familiarly known as "Jack Kennedy, the Clothier." He was born at Marysville, Union County,
Ohio, Aug. 24, 1871, the son of Matthew and Anna (St. John) Kennedy.
Matthew Kennedy was born in County Tipperary, Ireland, as was also his wife. He was the son of Patrick Kennedy,
who came to this country after the death of his wife. He later sent for his children and they lived in New York.
Matthew Kennedy came to Ohio during his early life and settled at Marysville, where he engaged in the transfer
business. Mr. Kennedy was a Democrat and a member of the Catholic Church. He died in 1887, and his wife died in
1910. Both are buried at Marysville. Their children were: Anna, married Frank Liggett, lives at Tiffin, Ohio; Mary,
married Charles Liggett, who died in 1928, and she lives at Columbus, Ohio; John W., the subject of this sketch;
and Matthew, lives at Marysville.
The education of John W. Kennedy was received in the public schools of Marysville. As a young man he learned telegraphy
in the employ of the Big Four Railroad and worked as an operator between Delaware and Cincinnati for two years.
He then served as a clerk in the employ of the Climax Clothing Company for two years, and in 1896 came to Shelby,
where he engaged in business with M. Emrich. In 1900 Mr. Kennedy formed a partnership with Alfred J. Robinson,
the firm being known as Kennedy & Robinson. They became leading clothiers and dealers in men's furnishings,
their place of business being located at 76 West Main Street. In 1929 Mr. Kennedy purchased his partner's interest
in the business.
In 1899 Mr. Kennedy married Miss Victoria E. Sutter, the daughter of Samuel and Lena (Schiffer) Sutter, who were
natives of Shelby, both now deceased. He was interested in the furniture business in this city for a number of
years. To Mr. and Mrs. Kennedy were born four children: Helen, married Stull McGuinness, lives at Buffalo, N. Y.;
Hermogene, married Francis E. Mott, lives at Cleveland, and they have a son, John Kennedy Mott; Marjorie, who is
deputy clerk of courts, Richland County, lives at home; and John W., Jr., a graduate of Shelby High School, attended
Notre Dame University, now associated in business with his father.
Mr. Kennedy has always been a Democrat. He and his family hold membership in the Church of the Most Pure Heart
of Mary, and he belongs to the Modern Woodmen of America, and Fraternal Order of Eagles. He is a charter member
of the Knights of Columbus, Council No. 687, of Mansfield, but now holds membership in the Shelby Council, of which
he is Past Grand Knight. He has also served as president of the Rotary Club of Shelby.
History of North Central Ohio
Embracing Richland, Ashland, Wayne,
Medina, Lorin, Huron and Knox Counties
BY: William A. Duff
Historical Publishing Company
North Central Ohio Biographies
Names A to C
Names D to G
Names H to K
Names L to P
Names Q to S
Names T to Z
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium