Henry Jacot, of Apple Creek, is widely known throughout Wayne County and North Central Ohio as a breeder of
pure bred Berkshire hogs. He was born on a farm in East Union Township, near Apple Creek, the son of Julius and
Sophia (Reichenbach) Jacot.
Julius Jacot was a native of Switzerland, born in 1841. His wife was also born there in 1839. They were among the
first settlers of Wayne County and settled on a farm in East Union Township. Julius Jacot was an expert watchmaker,
having learned his trade in Switzerland, where the finest watches in the world are made, and he made a decided
success in both occupations. Mr. Jacot returned to Switzerland in 1900 and died in 1916 and is buried there. His
wife died in 1896 at the age of 57 years. She is buried at Apple Creek. She was a woman of fine Christian character
and had a keen knowledge of human nature. To Mr. and Mrs. Jacot were born 16 children, 12 of whom grew to maturity.
Henry Jacot obtained his education in seven country schools of Wayne and Holmes counties, including Holmesvile.
He also studied at Ada, Ohio. for two years, and for many years was a teacher in the district schools of Wayne
County. He earned the money as a farm laborer necessary to fit himself as a teacher. He spent five years in the
office of the probate judge of Wayne County, and in 1914 he was again pressed into service in the teaching profession
in Green Township and taught two years. Since 1916 Mr. Jacot has devoted his entire time to the breeding of pure
bred Berkshire hogs, and has raised and developed some of the finest Berkshire hogs in the State of Ohio, including
"Champion Wonder," which is owned by C. C. Corey, of New Haven, Mich. This hog won the grand championship
at the International Stock Show at Chicago in 1924-1925. Mr. Jacot has been especially interested in improving
conditions in the breeding and feeding of hogs, and has made many noteworthy improvements in caring for and in
feeding, one of which is an invention known as the sanitary feeding trough. They are manufactured by the Nye Manufacturing
Company, of Canton. P. P. Miller, William H. Miller, and Frank Miller are owners of the plant at Canton. They are
sons of Frank Miller, a well known resident of Wooster, and are grandsons of the late D. D. Miller, of Wooster,
who was a flfelong friend of the Jacot family.
In 1928 Mr. Jacot was asked to teach the Old Lacky School in Holmes County, which was the first school which he
had attended as a boy, and he taught it for a year.
Mr. Jacot has always been a Democrat and at one time was a candidate for election to the Ohio Legislature. He served
five years as deputy in the Probate Court and was once a candidate for Probate Judge. He is an active member of
the Presbyterian Church, and has served as Sunday School teacher for more than 30 years. Mr. Jacot has always borne
a reputation among those who know him best for his industry and honesty.
History of North Central Ohio
Embracing Richland, Ashland, Wayne,
Medina, Lorin, Huron and Knox Counties
BY: William A. Duff
Historical Publishing Company
North Central Ohio Biographies
Names A to C
Names D to G
Names H to K
Names L to P
Names Q to S
Names T to Z
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium