George H. Hughes. One of Mansfield's best known business men and most substantial citizens is George H. Hughes,
who is secretary and general manager of the Hughes Supply Company, 134-36 West Sixth Street. He was born in Weller
Township, Richland County, July 17, 1869, the son of David and Fannie (Palmer) Hughes.
David Hughes was born in Beaver County, Pa., in 1823, the son of John and Rebecca Hughes, who settled in Weller
Township, Richland County, about 1830. John Hughes was born in Wales and his wife was a native of Scotland. Both
are buried at Shelby, Ohio. He was a farmer throughout his life, and his son, David, father of the subject of this
sketch, also followed general farming and stock raising. He died in 1890 and his wife, who was born in Franklin
Township, Richland County, in 1831, died in 1910. Both are buried in Franklin Cemetery, Weller Township. Mr. Hughes
was a Republican and held the offices of township trustee, treasurer, and school director. He was a member of the
Methodist Episcopal Church. To David and Fannie (Palmer) Hughes were born the following children: Benjamin, deceased;
Charles M., deceased; Olive, deceased; Adeline, married Rev. E. T. Hagerman, lives at Des Moines, Ia.; Josephine,
deceased; Melvin J., deceased; Luella, married Jacob Osbun, and she is deceased; George H., the subject of this
sketch; and Frank A., lives at Mansfield.
The early life of George H. Hughes was spent on his father's farm in Weller Township, and he attended the district
schools. He also attended West Salem High School. After the death of his father he managed the home place for two
years and during that time also taught in the township school. He removed to Pavonia, Ohio, in 1892, and spent
three years as a teacher there. He then purchased a general store at that place in the old Guthrie Building, which
had been used as a general store for more than half a century. Mr. Hughes continued as a merchant there for eight
years and then sold the business and removed to Mansfield. He traveled as a representative of the Humphryes Manufacturing
Company, of Mansfield, and later was sent by the company to Oklahoma City, Okla., then a city of 17,000 people.
At the time of the great earthquake in San Francisco, Calif., Mr. Hughes was sent by his company to that city,
where he transacted a large volume of business in the upbuilding of the city. He resigned from the company's employ
in 1910 and in that year established the Hughes Supply Company, dealers in plumbers' supplies, as well as contractors'
and factory supplies in all types of plumbing. The company carries on an extensive business throughout Ohio and
employs 13 men.
Mr. Hughes was married first in 1892 to Miss Elsie Osbun, the daughter of Melvin H. and Amelia (Hilton) Osbun,
natives of Richland County, both deceased. Mrs. Hughes died in 1900, leaving two children: Laurence, who is associated
in business with his father in Mansfield; and Dana, married Robert L. King, fruit grower, lives at Entiat, Wash.,
and they have two daughters, Jean and Mary. Mr. Hughes was married in 1907 to Miss Mary Estella Ward, the daughter
of W. Townsend and Eliza Ward, of Richland County, both deceased. She died in 1910 and is buried in Olivesburg
Cemetery, Richland County. Mr. Hughes was married the third time in 1913 to Miss Florence E. Hunter, the daughter
of Samuel S. and Mary Hunter, the former a native of Blooming Grove Township, Richland County, and the latter of
Indiana. Mr. Hunter was a school teacher and also served for 43 years as justice of the peace. To George H. and
Florence E. (Hunter) Hughes have been born two daughters, Mary Olive and Josephine, both students.
Mr. Hughes holds membership in the First Methodist Church, and belongs to Mansfield Lodge, F. & A. M., No.
35; Mansfield Chapter, R. A. M., No. 28; Mansfield Council, R. & S. M. M., No. 94; Mansfield Commandery, K.
T., No. 21, Dayton Consistory, 32nd degree, Al Koran Temple, Mansfield Scottish Rite Society; Baku Grotto, M. O.
V. P. E. R., and Mystic Club. Politically, he is a Republican.
History of North Central Ohio
Embracing Richland, Ashland, Wayne,
Medina, Lorin, Huron and Knox Counties
BY: William A. Duff
Historical Publishing Company
North Central Ohio Biographies
Names A to C
Names D to G
Names H to K
Names L to P
Names Q to S
Names T to Z
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium