Howard C. Hoffman, who is successfully engaged in the real estate business in Mansfield as proprietor of the
H. C. Hoffman Realty Company, is a veteran of the World War. He was born in Mansfield, July 8, 1895, the son of
Charles and Martha (Pike) Hoffman.
Charles Hoffman was a farmer throughout his life, which was spent in Richland County. He died in 1897 and is buried
at Mansfield. He held membership in the Lutheran Church. His widow subsequently married David L. Burger, a native
of Lucas, Ohio, who died in 1922. She now lives at Mansfield. Howard C., the subject of this sketch was the only
child born to Mr. and Mrs. Charles Hoffman. By her second marriage Mrs. Burger has two daughters: Mary, married
Peter Schner, lives at Mansfield; and Martha, at home.
Howard C. Hoffman was reared and educated in Mansfield and is a graduate of Mansfield High School. He attended
a business college in Cleveland and began his business career as a clerk in the Mansfield offices of the Pennsylvania
Railroad Company. He worked nights and attended the Ohio Business College during the day. In 1913 he entered the
employ of the Ohio Brass Company as a clerk in the cost and accounting department, and during this time took an
extension course from LaSafle Institute, Chicago, in the study of higher accounting and which qualified him as
a certified public accountant. At the outbreak of the World War Mr. Hoffman enlisted for service in May, 1917,
and served with the 8th Ohio Infantry, later being transferred to Supply Company, 146th Infantry, 37th Division.
He saw active service in France and Belgium, and participated in five major engagements of the war. He was discharged
with the rank of regimental supply sergeant on May 13, 1919, but continued with the rank of second lieutenant in
the Officers Reserve Corps for a period of five years.
After the close of the war Mr. Hoffman resumed his former employment with the Ohio Brass Company as an accountant
and also as paymaster. He became associated with the J. C. Maxwell Realty Company in 1923, and later purchased
an interest in the business, which was thereafter known as the Maxwell Hoffman Realty Company. In 1924 Mr. Hoffman
became sole owner and removed to his present location in 1929, which is 403 Richland Trust Building. He is secretary
of the Mansfield Real Estate Board, and belongs to the Ohio Association of Real Estate Boards, and National Association
of Real Estate Boards.
In 1921 Mr. Hoffman was united in marriage with Miss Pearl M. Acherman, the daughter of Henry and Christina Ackerman,
the former a native of Germany and the latter a native of Mansfield. Mr. Acherman is retired. Mr. and Mrs. Hoffman
have no children.
Mr. Hoffman is a member of the First English Lutheran Church, and belongs to McVey Post No. 16, American Legion,
Past Commander in 1927, "40 and 8" Society, and Chamber of Commerce. He has the following lodge affiliations:
Mansfield Lodge, F. & A. M. No. 35; Mansfield Chapter, R. A. M. No. 28; Mansfield Council, R. & S. M. M.
No. 94; Mansfield Commandery, K. T. No. 21; Baku Grotto, M. O. V. P. E. R.; Al Koran Temple; Mystic Club; Mansfield
Shrine Club; and Knights of Pythias.
History of North Central Ohio
Embracing Richland, Ashland, Wayne,
Medina, Lorin, Huron and Knox Counties
BY: William A. Duff
Historical Publishing Company
North Central Ohio Biographies
Names A to C
Names D to G
Names H to K
Names L to P
Names Q to S
Names T to Z
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium