Heister C. Hess, popular automobile dealer and garage owner of Hayesville, is a member of one of the oldest
and best known families of Ashland County. He was born in Montgomery Township, Ashland County, Nov. 23, 1882, the
son of Christian, Jr., and Elizabeth (Lawrence) Hess.
Samuel Hess came to the United States from Zurich, Switzerland, in 1712, and settled in Lancaster County, Pa.,
the family having been driven from France as Huguenots during the year 1637, and following the Protestant Reformation.
They were imprisoned in a dungeon and robbed of 4,000 guilders. From Lancaster County, Pa., Christian Hess, Sr.,
came to Ashland County in 1852 and purchased 600 acres of land three miles east of Ashland. This was divided into
four farms and occupied by his sons, Christian, Jr., Martin, Milton, and Henry Hess. This land is largely held
by this family at present. There were two other sons of this family, Joseph and Dr. Gilbert Hess.
Christian Hess, Jr., was a native of Lancaster County, Pa., and was seven years of age when he came to Ohio with
his parents and settled in Ashland County. Throughout his active career he engaged in general farming, and at the
time of his death in 1927 was living in Ashland. His wife, a native of Maryland, died in 1923. Both are buried
in Dickey Church Cemetery, Ashland County. He was a Republican and held membership in the Dunkard Church. The following
children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Hess: Albert, lives at Spokane, Wash.; Harry L., who is assistant cashier of
the Farmers Bank of Ashland; Stella, married J. E. Brubaker, lives at Ashland; Charity, married Frank B. Brandt,
lives at Columbus, Ohio; and Heister G., the subject of this sketch.
The boyhood of Heister G. Hess was spent on his father's farm in Montgomery Township, Ashland County, and he attended
the public schools. He attended Ashland College for two years and Oberlin School of Commerce in 1902. He began
his business career with the Pittsburgh Valve and Fittings Company, at Barberton, Ohio, as cost clerk. Later, he
was identified with the Bockley Stock Food Company, of Ashland, and spent three years as cashier of the Oliver
Typewriter Company at Cleveland, Ohio. Later, he was transferred by that firm to their general offices in Chicago,
as assistant traveling auditor under Charles Steele. Mr. Hess also spent two years with the West Construction Company,
at Chattanooga, Tenn., and later was with Fritz & White, wholesale druggists. His next business connection
was with the Shreveport Lumber Company, at Shreveport, La., and he went from there to Butte, Mont., and St. Marys,
Idaho. Mr. Hess engaged in farming in Ashland County for several years on the Hess homestead, and he also became
the owner of the Plank farm on the Ashland Road between Ashland and Hayesville. Since March, 1920, he has been
interested in the automobile business at Hayesville, as the local representative of the Ford Motor Car Company.
He has an up to date garage and attractive display room, as well as storage capacity for 30 cars. Automobile accessories
are also handled by Mr. Hess, who is recognized as an able mechanic.
In 1909 Mr. Hess was united in marriage with Miss Nora Kelley, of Jeromesville, the daughter of George and Elizabeth
(Strickland)Kelley, the former a native of York County, Pa., and the latter of Ashland County. Mr. Kelley died
in 1920 and is buried at Hayesville. He spent his active career in Ashland County and was a representative citizen
of Vermilion Township. Mr. and Mrs. Hess have no children.
Politically, Mr. Hess is a Republican. He holds membership in the Methodist Church, and belongs to the Elks Lodge.
History of North Central Ohio
Embracing Richland, Ashland, Wayne,
Medina, Lorin, Huron and Knox Counties
BY: William A. Duff
Historical Publishing Company
North Central Ohio Biographies
Names A to C
Names D to G
Names H to K
Names L to P
Names Q to S
Names T to Z
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium