Harold Hipp Henry. Perhaps one of the best known men of Mansfield is Harold Hipp Henry, who is personnel superintendent
of the Empire Steel Corporation. He was born at Mansfield, May 24, 1892, the son of Norman P. and Emma O. (Hipp)
Norman P. Henry was born near Lucas, Ohio, and his wife was a native of Crawford County. He was a harnessmaker
and spent more than half a century in the employ of George W. Zellner & Son. Mr. Henry died in September, 1916,
and is buried at Mansfield. He took an active part in local politics and served two terms as councilman at large,
two years as president of the council, and was vice mayor. He was a member of the Baptist Church, Knights of Pythias,
and Mansfield Lodge, F. & A. M., No. 35, Past Master. Three sons were born to Mr. and Mrs. Henry: Norman P.,
who is associated with the G. & H. Supply Company, Mansfield; Harold Hipp, the subject of this sketch; and
Robert L., who is associated with the Tinkey Brothers Lumber Company, Mansfield.
Harold Hipp Henry was reared and educated in Mansfield and after his graduation from high school in 1910 entered
the employ of the Roderick Lean Company, as a bookkeeper. During 1912-13 he was assistant treasurer of the Browning
Steam Shovel Company, and in 1914 entered the University of Pennsylvania, where he received the degree of Bachelor
of Science in 1917. The next three years he spent as personnel superintendent of the A. M. Byers Company, of Girard,
Ohio, and in 1920 came to Mansfield as personnel superintendent and safety director of the Empire Steel Corporation.
In June, 1917, Mr. Henry was united in marriage with Miss Laura Droxler, the daughter of Michael and Anna Droxler.
of Philadelphia. Mr. and Mrs. Droxier died in 1926. He was superintendent of the American Coal & Ice Company,
Philadelphia. To Mr. and Mrs. Henry have been born four children: Harold Hipp, Jr., born in 1919; Virginia Louise,
born in 1921; Joseph Patrick, born in 1925; and William Droxier, born in 1929.
Mr. Henry is a Democrat and served as president of the Kellogg Boys Commission under Judge Bissman. He is a member
of the Baptist Church and chairman of the board of trustees, and belongs to Mansfield Lodge, F. & A. M. No.
35; Mansfield Chapter, R. A. M. No. 28; and Mansfield Council, R. & S. M. M. No. 94.
Mr. Henry is past president of the Exchange Club, president of the Foreman's Club, a member of the Manufacturers'
Club, president of the Welfare Association of the Empire Steel Corporation, former secretary of the Community Fund
Association, member of the Ohio Society Safety Engineers, member of the All Ohio Safety Congress, and the National
Safety Council. He has served on the advisory council of the Mansfield Council of Boy Scouts, and is former president
of the Industrial Basket Ball League, president of the 1925 Church Bowling League, manager of the Empire Steel
Base Ball Club, and member of the advisory council of the Mansfield Play Ground Association. He also belongs to
the Y. M. C. A., and chairman of the Industrial Safety Committee, Chamber of Commerce.
The Henry Athletic Club, located at 26th and Lombard Streets, Philadelphia, is named in honor of Mr. Henry, who
was its founder, during his residence in that city. It is an athletic club for boys.
History of North Central Ohio
Embracing Richland, Ashland, Wayne,
Medina, Lorin, Huron and Knox Counties
BY: William A. Duff
Historical Publishing Company
North Central Ohio Biographies
Names A to C
Names D to G
Names H to K
Names L to P
Names Q to S
Names T to Z
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium