Charles L. Hartenfels. A substantial citizen and dependable business man of Mansfield and Richland County is
Charles L Hartenfels, who is proprietor of the Lexington Oil Company. He was born in Troy Township, Richland County,
Dec. 11, 1886, the son of George and Elizabeth (Kochheiser) Hartenfels.
George Hartenfels was born in Richland County in 1857 and died in 1925. He was a successful farmer and stockman
and was the owner of a well improved farm of 275 acres near Mansfield. He retired in 1907 and removed to Mansfield,
although he maintained possession of his farm. Mr. Hartenfels was a Democrat and served as township trustee. He
held membership in the Knights of Pythias and was an active member of the Lutheran Church. To Mr. and Mrs. Hartenfels
were born two children: Meta, married C. E. Balz, lives in Columbus, Ohio; and Charles L., the subject of this
Elizabeth (Kochheiser) Hartenfels was born in Ashland County, Ohio, in 1864, the daughter of Lew Kochheiser, who
was born in Germany in 1833. He came to this country in 1847 and was married in 1853 to Margaret Rummel, who was
born in Konich, Germany, in 1831. Mr. Kochheiser purchased the original James Marshall farm in Richland County,
Ohio, which he operated until his death. To Mr. and Mrs. Kochheiser were born five children: William, John, Lewis,
Mary C., and Elizabeth.
Charles L. Hartenfels grew up on his father's farm in Troy Township, Richland County, and attended the public schools,
being graduated from Lexington High School in 1905. He was employed in the office of the Joint Rate Inspection
Bureau of the Erie, Pennsylvania, & Baltimore & Ohio Railroad for two years and in 1907 went to Toledo,
Ohio, with the Pope Toledo Automobile Company. He returned to Mansfield in 1908. Mr. Hartenfels was appointed deputy
sheriff of Richland County under Sheriff Carroll in January, 1911, and in November, 1914, was elected sheriff of
the county. He was reelected to office in November, 1916. Since 1919 he has been interested in the oil business.
At that time he built the first filling station in Mansfield at North Walnut Street, next to the Majestic Theater,
and which he disposed of the following year. Another station was built by Mr. Hartenfels at Mulberry and Sixth
streets, which he later leased. On June 1, 1927, he purchased a station at Lexington, Ohio, and in 1929 erected
the largest and finest gasoline station in Mansfield at 100 Park Avenue West. It is the only station in the city,
which has parking and garage accomodations His business is known as the Lexington Oil Company.
In 1913 Mr. Hartenfels was united in marriage with Miss Ethel Ackerman, the daughter of Fred and Jessie Ackerman,
natives of Ohio. Mr. Ackerman lives at Mansfield. His wife is deceased. Mr. and Mrs. Hartenfels have a daughter,
Suzann, who attends the Mansfield junior high school.
Mr. Hartenfels is a Democrat and during 1922 and 1923 held the office of safety director of Mansfield. He and his
family hold membership in the First English Lutheran Church, and he is affiliated with Venus Lodge, F. & A.
M. No. 152, Mansfield Chapter R. A. M. No. 28, Mansfield Council R. & S. M. M. No. 94, Mansfield Commandery,
K. T. No. 21, Dayton Consistory, 32nd degree, Mansfield Scottish Rite Society, Benevolent & Protective Order
of Elks No. 56, and F. O. Eagles. He belongs to the Possum Run Golf Club.
History of North Central Ohio
Embracing Richland, Ashland, Wayne,
Medina, Lorin, Huron and Knox Counties
BY: William A. Duff
Historical Publishing Company
North Central Ohio Biographies
Names A to C
Names D to G
Names H to K
Names L to P
Names Q to S
Names T to Z
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium