Harvey G. Hammond. One of Knox County's most highly esteemed citizens and representative farmers is Harvey G.
Hammond, owner of Hhlandale Farm, which is located in Union and Butler townships near Miliwood. Mr. Hammond was
born at Millwood, April 18, 1881, the son of John L. and Aiwilda (Tracy) Hammond.
John L. Hammond, retired, is a prominent citizen of Knox County, where he has spent his entire life. He was born
in 1852, and became one of the county's most successful farmers. He is a son of George and Catherine (Uhi) Hammond,
natives of Maryland and Ohio, respectively. George Hammond came to Ohio with his father, John Hammond, in 1842,
and settled in Knox County. He is buried in St. John's Cemetery on the Mt. Vernon Martinsburg Road. George Hammond
purchased the present Hammond farm near Miliwood in 1865 from Benjamin Butler, who entered the land from the government
and lived there during the remainder of his life. Alwilda (Tracy) Hammond died in 1917 and is buried in the Workman
Cemetery. There were two sons born to Mr. and Mrs. John L. Hammond: Harvey G., the subject of this sketch; and
Burrell F., a sketch of whom appears elsewhere in this history.
Harvey G. Hammond attended the public schools of Danville, from which he was graduated in 1899. He then studied
at Ohio State University and Ohio Wesleyan University. Mr. Hammond served for two years as cashier of the Commercial
& Savings Bank, at Danville. Since 1908 he has devoted his entire time and energy to the management of Hillandale
Farm. Produce from the estate is marketed in Pittsburgh and Cleveland. Mr. Hammond is a member of the "100
bushel corn club of Ohio," having made the record in 1921 of 104 bushels per acre, and in 1925 of 108 bushels
per acre. He raises Woodhurn's Yellow Dent Corn exclusively on his farm. The 100 bushel average must be for ten
acres. The most modern type of farm machinery is used by Mr. Hammond and his farm is an outstanding example of
the results which may be obtained by scientific farming methods. A hatchery is also operated on Hhllandale Farm,
which has a capacity of 6,000 chickens. Pure bred white leghorn chickens are raised exclusively on the farm.
On Oct. 18, 1911, Mr. Hammond was united in marriage with Miss Lucy Little, the daughter of C. E. and Charlotte
(Felton) Little, of Lee County, Ala. Mr. and Mrs. Hammond have three adopted children, who are brothers and sister.
They are: Sarah Alwilda, James Harvey, and Felton Little Hammond. They are loved as only Mr. and Mrs. Hammond's
own children could be, and they return this affection in equal measure.
Mr. Hammond is a Republican and is chairman of the central committee of Knox County, being elected to the second
term in office. He was a delegate from State of Ohio to the National Republican Convention in 1912. He is a member
of Danville Lodge, Danville, F. & A. M., No. 546; Clinton Chapter, Mt. Vernon; Kinsman Council, Mt. Vernon;
Clinton Cornmandery, Mt. Vernon; Scioto Consistory, Columbus; Aladdin Shrine; and belongs to B. P. O. Elks at Mt.
Vernon. He has served two terms as president of the Knox County Fish and Game Association. Mrs. Hammond has been
a member of the Baptist Church for many years.
History of North Central Ohio
Embracing Richland, Ashland, Wayne,
Medina, Lorin, Huron and Knox Counties
BY: William A. Duff
Historical Publishing Company
North Central Ohio Biographies
Names A to C
Names D to G
Names H to K
Names L to P
Names Q to S
Names T to Z
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium