Bios of men from Candor, NY



THOMAS PARKS, 4th, founder of Parks settlement in the town of Candor, was a New Englander by birth, a sea captain by former occupation, and a pioneer in Tioga county. In the year 1788 Captain Parks left Vestal and moved to what is now Candor, where, it has been said, he was the first settler. He built a saw mill, cleared up a good farm and was in all respects a worthy pioneer. His wife was Hannah Fiddis, widow of Hugh Fiddis, to whom he was married in 1768. Their children were Folly, Dorinda, Freelove, Hannah, Abigail, Phebe, Lucretia, Experience and Daniel R Parks. All of these children grew to maturity and raised families in this county. Thomas Parks, the pioneer, was born in 1744 and died in 1833.

EPENETUS HOWE was born in Auburn, in this state, December 6, 1836. His early life was spent in Auburn, New York city and Elizabeth, N. J. He was educated in the latter place. He was engaged in the .mercantile business in New York until 1852, when he moved to Tompkins county, returning to Elizabeth that same year and back to Tompkins county again in 1854, locating in Speedsvile, where, in 1859, he married Sarah Amanda Legg, a granddaughter of. Joel Legg, a corporal in the revolutionary army, and daughter of one of the first settlers in Tompkins county. In 1885 Mr. Howe came to Candor and has resided here ever since. He is retired from active business, but passes his time in doing kindnesses for others less fortunate than himself, and in enjoying the privileges of his beautiful home. Mr. Howe cast his first vote for Lincoln, later voted for Greeley and in 1877 became a "greenbacker," running for congress in the twenty-sixth district in 1878 against the late John W. Dwight, of Dryden, who was elected. In 1880 Mr. Howe was a candidate for secretary of state on the greenback ticket, and, in 1882, for governor. Mr. Howe was elected supervisor for the town of Caroline, Tompkins county, in 1876, and was re-elected the next year, running both times on an independent ticket. Mr. Howe continued to be a greenbacker until 1888, when he "stumped" Tioga county for Benjamin Harrison. He was elected supervisor for Candor on the republican ticket in 1873 and re-elected in 1874. He was elected member of assembly in 1893 and re-elected the following year. When a resident of Tompkins. county Mr. Howe "stumped" it one year for temperance and the county voted his way, the only time in its history. Mr. Howe is a member of Candor lodge, F. & A. M. He is prominent in temperance work and is a "grand lecturer." He is a member of the Congregational church.

DENNISON BOOTH, the second sou of Orange Francis Booth and Lucy (Hart) Booth, is of the fifth generation of the Booths of this country, being a descendant of Sir Richard Booth, of England. His father, Orange Francis, was a son of Joseph Booth, of Farmington, Conn., who was a son of Nathan Booth, who was the son of Robert Booth, and he, Robert, was the son of Sir Richard Booth of England. Dennison Booth was born March 13, 1809, at the homestead in Candor, received his early education in the schools at Candor, and remained with his father until twenty-eight years of age, assisting him in his lumber interests during these early years. He made three trips down the Susquehanna, carrying the sawed lumber to tide-water markets. In 1832 he married Cynthia Bacon, daughter of John Bacon, of Candor, who died shortly afterwards. He married, the second time, on January 5, 1837, Mirzie Cordelia Blakeslee, daughter of Obed Blakeslee, of Genoa, N. Y., a revolutionary soldier from Connecticut. Three children were born to them, Wakefield, born June 14, 1838, who served in the late war in Co. K., 26th Regt., N. Y. Vols.; Freeman, horn August 11, 1840, married Emma G. Stevens, of Lansing, N. Y., in 1868, and settled on his farm in Candor; Irving Penman, born November 19, 1843, married Eather Wickham Shaw, of Middletown, N. Y., in 1869, now resides in Elmira, N; Y. Mr. Dennison Booth in early life was a democrat, but later became a republican, he was at the first republican convention in Tioga county, and has been offered several politicaloffices by his party, but he has always declined, preferring to lead the quiet life of a farmer. He is an active member of the Farmington Congregational society.

IRVING D. BOOTH, son of Dennison and Mirza C. (Blakeslee) Booth, born in Candor, November 19, 1843, was educated at M. S. Converse's private school in Elmira, and in 1863 became clerk in the hardware store of Wffliam Brown, of Elmira. After one year had passed Mr. Brown sold to A. Rose, and Mr. Booth was with this firm until 1866, when he entered the firm of Ayrault, Rose & Co. In 1872 the firm was changed to Booth, Pounce, Rose & Co., Mr. Booth becoming the leading member. Later, closing his connection with that business, Mr. Booth established the wholesale store• on Railroad avenue, where he is now located, for the sale of heavy hardware in 1875, and hehas built up a successful and increasing trade, employing numerous men. In 1869 he married Esther Wickham Shaw, of Middletown, N. Y. His children are Dr. Arthur W. Booth, a physician of Elmira; Wilf rid I. Booth, of Johnson & Booth; Miss Mabel, and Irving D. Booth, Jr. He served as city supervisor two terms, alderman, from 1st ward, two terms, and has been fire commissioner for the past eight years and is stifi serving in that capacity. He is vice-president of the Century Club of Elmira, and a trustee of Park church.

EDWIN A. BOOTH, son of Orange F. and Lucy Hart Booth, was born in the town of Candor, January 25, 1821, and has lived here ever since. March 22, 1849, he married Mary H., daughter of Harvey Potter, of Candor. They have one child, Mary A., born March 16, 1865, and married with John P. Fiebig, of the ftrm of Fiebig & Hart, proprietors of the blanket factory. Mr. Booth received his preliminary education in the Candor school and, completed it in the busy marts of trade. Finishing school, he . engaged in the lumber business and later in farming. In 1861, he engaged in the mercantile business with Asa M. Potter. This partnership existed for three years when Mr. Booth sold out. Mr. Booth then became the silent partner in the firm of Potter & Roos, doing a mercantile business in Owego. This continued for about eight years. Twenty two years ago he again embarked in the mercantile business in Candor, this time with E. S. Williams, his present partner, and in the store they now occupy. Mr. Booth's father was one of the first white settlers in the town of Candor. He emigrated from his birthplace, Farmington, now New Britain, Conn., in 1803 or 1804. He was born March 5, 1782. Mr. Booth's mother was born in Stockbridge, Berkshire county, Mass., in June, 1788, moving with her parents to Candor about 1796, having first lived a short time in Broome county. Orange Booth and Lucy Hart were married in 1806 and were the parents of nine children, four of whom are living: Edwin A., Dennison, born March 13, 1809, living in the town of Candor; Orange, born October 16, 1816, also living in the town of Candor; Lucy, born October 20, 1823, widow of Henry Gilbert and living' in Elmira. Mr. Booth is a democrat in politics and was elected assessor in 1852-3-4. In 1862 he was elected supervisor for Candor and re-elected in 1865-6-8-9. In 1872, during the Greeley campaign, he was a candidate for the assembly, but was defeated. Mr. Booth is a member of the Congregational church.

ENOCH S. WILLIAMS, son of Enoch S. and Rachel (Hull) Williams, was born in Newark Valley, January 16, 1832. He married July 15, 1852, Martha S. Legg, daughter of Leonard Legg, of Speedsvile. Two children were born to them, Ida E., born July 6, 1853, married Lewis R. Hoff, August 7, 1878, died September 17, 1880; Frank J., born August 18, 1855, died September 27, 1856. Mrs. Wiffiams died March 1, 1890, and, February 14, 1894, Mr. Wiffiams married Grace E., daughter of Andrew Tucker. Mr. Williams came to Candor in 1856 and engaged in the tailoring business. Twenty years ago he formed a partnership with E. A. Booth in the mercantile business which continues at the present time.. Mr. Wiffiams was town clerk five years and was supervisor for six years. At one time he ran for member of assembly on the democratic ticket, but was defeated. He was appointed postmaster at Candor by President Cleveland at the beginning Of his second term. Mr. WiJliams is a member of the Candor Masonic lodge, Malta Commandery, Knights Templar, of Binghamton, and of the Owego chapter. He is also a member of Veritas lodge, I. O. O. F., of Candor, and is trustee, and the secretary and treasurer of the cemetery association.

JOHN W. McCARTY, merchant of Candor, was born September 7, 1835, in Catharine, Schuyler county, N. Y. He was the son of John and Laura (Frost) McCarty. His grandparents, Joseph and Mary McCarty, moved from New Jersey to near the head of Seneca Lake in 1804, where they died in 1845-6. His grandparents, Joseph and Lucy (Couch) Frost, moved from Redding, Connecticut, to Catharine in 1803. They followed the only road leading from Newtown (now Elmira) to the head of Seneca Lake. This road was opened by Sullivan's army when he made his celebrated expedition into that country to expel the Indians. Joseph Frost was a revolutionary soldier and pensioner; two of his brothers died on a British prison-ship in New York harbor. He died in 1844 in his 91st year; his wife died in 1843 in her 86th year. It was in February, 1852, that John W.. McCarty came to Candor and became a clerk for his brother-in-law, Jerome Thompson. In 1856 he was admitted to a partnership in the store, where he has continued in business until the 'present time. His father, John McCarty, and his brother, Francis A. McCarty, were formerly partners in the store. William J. Payne is now associated with him in business under the firm name of McCarty & Payne. Mr. McCarty built the present brick store in 1874. November 8, 1860, he was married with Eliza J., daughter of Selah and Julia (Potter) Hart. Her grandfather, Abel Hart, removed from Stockbridge, Massachusetts, to Candor in 1795, andlocated on the "Hart homestead lot" as now known. in politics Mr. McCarty is a republican, and cast his first vote for Fremont and Dayton. He and his wife are members of the Congregational church. He has been vice-president of the First National bank of Candor for about thirty years, and is now president of "The Wands Glove Co.," of Candor, N. Y.

WILLIS G. BOSTWICK, son of Thomas Bostwick and Hannah Prince, was born September 30, 1861 in Bradford county, Pa. When four years old his parents moved to Tioga county, locating at Gibson's Corners, where Willis remained till he was twentyone years old. November 19, 1884, he married Emma Briggs, of Nichols. One child, Roy, aged ten years, was born to them. Eight years ago Mr. Bostwick moved to Candor vifiage, where he is now engaged in the produce, hay and lumber business. Mr. Bostwiçk is a member of Candor lodge of Odd Fellows, and one of the substantial men of the village.

ALDIS A. ROBINSON was born in Candor May 7, 1821. His father Joel, was a Vermonter, and his mother Celia Whitaker, was born in Connecticut, but thoved to Barton, Vermont. Mr. Robinson's father came to Candor in 1816 and passed the remainder of his life here. Of eight children Aldis is the only one living. He married Sarah D., daughter of William Little, of Candor, in November, 1855. Mrs. Robinson died July 9, 1896. Mr. Robinson received his education in the district school at Candor, and when twenty years of age went west. He was in Laporte, Indiana, two or three years and then traveled southward. In 1845 he started with a party of emigrants to cross the Rocky Mountains to Oregon. The journey occupied five months, and the caravan was the first to take wagons across the Cascade Mountains into the Willamette Valley. There were in this caravan eighty wagons, each drawn by from four to six yokes of oxen, and from twelve to fifteen men on horseback, Mr. Robinson being one of the horsemen. The party encountered many Indians; some hostiles, some peaceful. Mr. Robinson was quartermaster of a volunteer regiment in Oregon, organized to fight the Cayuse Indians for the massacre of Dr. Whitman's family and eleven other persons. - This was before Oregon was organized as a territory. The territorial government was organized in 1848, and Mr. Robinson acted as clerk of the legislature which formed the constitution. In 1850 he returned vIa. the Isthmus of Panama to Candor, where he served as postmaster and United States assistant assessor under Presidents Lincoln and Johnson. Mr. Robinson is engaged in insurance, the presentmaking his thirty-first year in that bñsiness.

MAJOR ABRAM H. KROM, son of Peter I. and Jane Elizabeth (Hermance) Krom, was born in the town of Tioga April 22, 1837, the same year that his parents removed thither from Ulster county. Peter Krom, great grandfather of Major Krom, was a soldier of the revolution, and Petrus Brink, grandfather of Peter I. Krom, was also in the same war. The musket and bayonet carried by his grandfather in his service is now owned by Major Krom. His mother was a daughter of Dr. Jacob Hermance, of Warwarsing, Ulster county. Abram was educated at the Candor and Waverly academies, and was intending to engage in the study of law, but his plans changed when the civil war brought his patriotism to a white heat, and he enlisted to fight for the union. This was in August, 1861. His company was Co. G., of the famous Fifth N. Y. Cavalry. (This regiment was named in honor of Senator Harris of Albany, and known as the first Ira Harris Guards.) Major Krom must have displayed marked soldierly qualities, for by a flattering vote he was chosen captain at the organization of the company. Captain Krom was mustered into service at Staten Island on October 9, 1861. From this time until the close of the war Captain (later Major) Krom was prominently identified with the brilliant deeds with which the record of this regiment is filled. "No braver soldier went from Tioga county." The Fifth passed the first winter in "Camp Harris" near Annapolis, and Co. G. was color company. During their stay in this camp Captain Krom commenced the long list of his acts of daring bravery by personally capturing four prisoners, the first ones taken by the regiment. In March, 1862, Co. G. and two other companies while on a reconnoissance captured five prisoners, which began a rapid series of gallant achievements (under the command of Captain Krom) of the three companies commanded by him, which won laurels for all concerned. This was in the retreat down the Shenandoah and when on picket duty they had been abandoned by the retreating army, from which they were cut off by the rebels. The command was three days and nights engaged in baffling the enemy and in crossing the Potomac into union lines, crossing and recrossing the mountain ranges to accomplish this. Joining Gen. Banks' army and again advancing up the Shenandoah Captain Krom was on reconnoitering service in command of the picket line, and faffing sick, he was absent a month on sick leave returning before the battle at Culpepper C. H., on July 8, in which he took part. He rejoined the regiment near Winchester, Va. Captain Krom and his company served as a body guard for General Banks when his army crossed the Blue Ridge into Eastern Virginia. When Gen. Pope reached Bull Run Captain Krom was chosen to rush important dispatches to Washington, and with a telegrapher he skillfully passed the rebel lines and safely reached Alexandria, from whence the dispatches were sent to the war department. The intense excitement of that important campaign made the captain so ifi that he was ordered to stay in Washington, but he rejoined his regiment on October 8, and took part in the brilliant operations in Virginia then beginning. Once in this campaign Captain Krom, while commanding a detachment of the brigade, swam across the Shenandoah with his company and captured an important rebel camp. From December 1, 1862, until February 18, '63, he held the important position of commander of the fifteen miles of picket line. The Ira Harris Guards operated with the army of the Potomac in the Chancellorsville campaign. Captain Krom, then acting as major, was wounded while dispersing a rebel force on May 3, by two bullets, one passing through one of his legs, and the other, which is still carried in his head, wounding him under the right eye. These wounds kept him in a hospital during the Gettysburg campaign, and still are painful reminders of his army experiences. On returning to duty he was made assistant-inspector-genera1 of the brigade, and acted as inspector-general until October 8, 1863, when he requested to be relieved. He acted as major, however, until December, 1863, when he was commissioned. During the Mine Run operations of the army of the Potomac, commencing on November 26, 1863, the cavalry was stationed along the upper fords of of the Rapidan. Captain Krom with his battalion held Raccoon ford, repulsing many attempts of the enemy to cross the river, for which he received honorable mention in the official reports of the battle. In the winter of '63-4, while on recruiting service at home the major enlisted 300 recruits for his regiment. In 1864, before the campaign opened, all dismounted men of the Third cavalry division (nearly 2,000) were organized into a provisional command under Major Krom. With this command he guarded wagon trains and prisoners, and held the left of our line of battle at Spottsylvania C. H., and the right at Cold Harbor. When Early threatened Washington in 1864, Major Krom's command was ordered there, where he rejoined his regiment, as the whole of the 3rd cavalry division was ordered to join Sheridan in the Shenandoah valley. On the 12th of September, he assumed command of his regiment, and from that time until the close of his service there was scarcely a day in which the regiment was not under fire. On the 19th of September, when Sheridan's army advanced on the rebel position along the Occoquan Creek, Major Krom was given command of the advance on the Berryvifie pike,, which was the center of our line and held the key to the enemy's position. About 2 o'clock a. m. the major with his command struck the mouth of the ravine through which the pike leads to the crest of the bluffs, and on which the enemy lay behind earthworks. The mouth of the ravine was heavily barricaded by feffing trees across, making the road impassable, and affording a good shelter for the enemy to defend the entrance of the pass. The major at once threw a flanking force araund the barricade, set the pioneers to work and in a short time had the road passable for both troops and artillery. He then charged with his command, up through the ravine to the rebel position on the crest and gained a position which he held (in spite of several furious attempts to dislodge him) until reinforcements came up and forced the rebels to retire. From the position thus gained our artillery could reach a large part of the rebel line. On this day the major led his regiment in five distinct charges against infantry, during which occurred some of the most desperate fighting of the war. On September 26, the Third cavalry division, with Ouster's brigade, moved up the, valley to Staunton, from which point Gen. Ouster was 'ordered to report to Averill's division and assume its command, and Major Krom on September 27, was ordered to escort him. On the way a desperate fight occurred between the regiment and a strong body of rebel cavalry and infantry, but the major succeeded in getting the general safely through. On September 28, the major and his command rejoined the division near Waynesboro, where he delivered dispatches from Gen. Sheridan to Gen. Wilson ordering him to return immediately to the army with his command. On October 6, when Sheridan was falling back down the valley, Major Krom commanded the rear guard, consisting of the 5th N. Y. cavalry and 18th Pa. cavalry. Two rebel brigades nearly surrounded his command, but the major ordered a charge and succeeded in cutting his way out. Annoyed at the frequent heavy attacks upon his rear guard, on October 9 Gen. Sheridan ordered his cavalry to give the enemy a lesson that would make them more respectful. The Third cavalry division under Gen. Ouster was ordered up the back road and Merritt's 'division up the pike. Major Krom was ordered to take the advance of the Third division. As soon as he struck the rebel pickets he charged them vigorously and drove them to their brigade camp, where he took up position along Tom's brook, and waiteU for the rest of the division to come up (which they very soon did). As soon as Gen. Custer could place his division in order for battle he ordered the advance with the Fifth N. Y. in the center on the road leading over the hill where the enemy's artillery was in position and his reserve troops stationed. Major Krom led his men in a charge up the hill and gained its top, driving the enemy back upon his reserves. Then Gen. Ouster came up with the Third N. J. cavalry, which he had held in reserve, and completed the rout of the enemy, who fled in confusion. In this action Major Krom captured two pieces of artillery and received a gunshot wound in the bowels. The last bat tie in which he major was engaged was at Cedar Creek, Va., on the 19th of October, 1864, where Sheridan's army was driven from its position in the morning and the enemy forced back in total rout at might. From this battle Major Krom came out with a long list of captured property, numbering 22 pieces of artifiery, 14 cassions, 1 battery wagon, 17 army wagons, 6 spring wagons and ambulances, 83 sets of artillery harness, 98 horses and 67 mules, with many prisoners and several battle flags. On the 21st of October, 1864, the major's term of service having expired, he was honorably discharged and returned to civil life. The whole military life of Major Krom reflects luster on the service, and some of the most important captures of the war, among them artillery, stores and supplies, were made by his command. In a work of this kind it is impossible to give a detailed account of the major's many personal deeds of valor, or of the numerous "honorable mentions" his superior' officers gave him, but justice demands that we should say what we have said. Mrs. Krom, to whom the major was married on January 27, 1864, is of sterling pioneer stock. Her maiden name was Rachel J. Potter. Her parents were Captain Harvey and Mary (Hart) Pot-, ter, and her maternal grandfather was Capt. Abel Hart, whose wife was the first white child born in Tioga county. Their children are Julia H. (Mrs. Edwin F. Woodford of Binghamton), born July 2, 1866; Jane E. (Mrs. Lewis Tuttle of Candor), born February 8, 1869; Edwin H., born August 13, 1873; May. M., born May 27, 1875, died July 20, 1896. Major Krom's record as a citizen is as honorable as is that of his martial life. "His influence has been for great good in the town of Candor," and in church arid social circles he ranks high. He is a member and the clerk of the Candor board of education and is now serving his third three-year term as 'county superintendent of the poor. He is a valued member of the local lodge of Free Masons and of the Grand Army Post, of which he was the first commander.

URBAN P. SPAULDING was born in the town of Spencer, June 20, 1833. He is a son of Joseph and Maria (Palmer) Spaulcling. When thirteen years old he left home and became a stage driver and afterward a stage agent, spending the time in western New York and Ohio. He then engaged in the wholesale tobacco trade in, Binghamton until 1864, when he came to Candor, there buying and operating until 1876 a grist mill. Since that time he has been engaged in the insurance business. Mr. Spaulding married Esther Washburn in April, 1854. Two children were born to them: Stella, in 1856, who died in February, 1896, and A. M., horn in 1858 and now living in Candor.

JOHN CALVIN DIXON was born November 12, 1831, in Otsego county. His family moved to Candor when he was eleven years old, where 'Mr. Dixon passed his life until his death, which occurred August 1, 1896. On Christmas day, 1856, Mr. Dixon married Sarah Frances, daughter of Daniel Hart, of Candor. One child, Frank, was born December 26, 1859, and died June 7, 1884. Dr. Dixon was educated at Hobart college, Geneva, N. Y., and at the Albany medical college, from which he was graduated December 26, 1854. He enlisted in the 9th Minnesota regiment and was commissioned its assistant surgeon September 22, 1863. After the close of the war he commenced the practice of medicine in Candor and continued it until his death. He was a valued member of the Knights of Honor and of the Episcopal church.

ROMEO W. ST CLAIR, A. M., M. P., son of Dennis Moffett, born in Spencer, on August 16, 1842, was adopted by James Wallace, and by an act of the legislature his surname was changed to St. Clair. During the civil war he enlisted in the 130th New York (1st N. Y. Dragoons) and served as telegrapher to McClellan's staff, was wounded seven times and made three balloon ascensions while in service. Educated at Yale, he was graduated in 1866. Then, reading medicine with Drs. W. P. Hill and Austin Flint in New York city, he was graduated in chemistry from Bellevue college in 1872, and as M. D. in 1874. He immediately began practice at Rossville, Staten Island, and some years later located in Brooklyn. He took post-graduate courses at the College of Physicians and Surgeons in New York, and at Heidelberg, Germany, and has made specialties of diseases of women and children and medical electricity. In 1872 Dr. St. Clair married Emeline Wallace, daughter of James Wallace, and upon her death, he relinquished practice and made his home in Candor. Of his two children, one, Eleanor W., is living. He is a chapter mason, and is a member ,and one of the staff of the state commander of the G. A. B. He has had extensive foreign travel and has visited the leading medical schools and museums of Europe. He invented the electric battery which bears his name, and is the author of two books on electricity. He has given much attention to gathering Indian relics, minerals and curiosities. He has been offered $30,000 for his present collection, and sold a former One to P. T. Barnum for $20,000.

D. G. VAN OSTRAND, M. D., was born November 11, 1860, in the town of Ithaca. He attended the Ithaca high school and university of New York city (horneopathic), graduating from the latter institution in 1895. He went to Suffern, Rockland county, and July 4, 1895, came to Tioga county, locating at Willseyville, removing to Candor village' in the beginning of the present year. Dr. Van Nostrand married, February 25, 1891, Stella M. Crance, of West Danby, Tompkins county. They have one child, Lloyd U., born 'January 3, 1894.

RICHARD HEWITT was born in Connecticut about the middle of the eighteenth century, and served as a sOldier in the revolution. He married Dorcas Winney, and, in 1819, he came to Candor,, located on Anderson Hill, where he purchased a small farm, made its first clearing and built a log house. Rev. Thomas Hewitt, one of the six children of Richard, was born in Albany county, N. ~Y. He was a minister of the Methodist Episcopal church, and had quite a reputation as a revivalist. He organized the first Methodist class (of fifteen members) in Candor. He died in 1879. Of his twelve children six are living. Three of his sons were also ministers, Alfred, LeRoy S., and Jasper W. Rev. Jasper W. Hewitt was born May 20, 1816, in Bethlehem, N. Y., was self-educated, a great reader, and an original thinker. In 1844 he preached his first sermon in Spencer, and in 1848 joined the Oneida conference, and was later connected with the Wyoming conference. From 1884 to 1886 he was in charge of Spencer circuit. He was married in 1838 with Clarissa J., daughter of Charles W. and Mary N. (Stow) Wright. Of their nine children four are living. Rev. Mr. Hewitt is now passing the evening of a most useful life in Candor, where he is calmly waiting for the ~MIaster's summons.

ORANGE BOOTH, son of Orange F. and Lucy (Hart) Booth, was born in the town of Candor, October 16, 1816, and has passed all of his life in the town, excepting some months in 1863, when he was engaged in 'the lumber business in Michigan. He married November 10, 1844, Mary Woodford, daughter of Ira Woodford. They had two children, John W., who is now in Wyoming, Minn., and Nathan, who died when one year old. Mrs. Booth died in February, 1885, and Mr. Booth married March 31, 1887, Mrs. Sarah M. Bliven, then matron of the Ladies Home at Ithaca. Mr. Booth has been a member of Candor lodge, F. & A. M., for twenty-five years. He is a democrat, and was for fifteen years town commissioner. Mr. Booth is a member of the Congregational church.

LESTER Z. ROSS, son of Harry Ross and Phebe Ann Eastman, his wife, was born at Willseyville, April 1, 1855. He married Della Hoose, daughter of Charles and Lucinda (Griffin) Hoose, on January 1, 1879. They have two children, Elva, born March 3, 1881, and Phebe Dell, born November 16, 1883. Mr. Ross lived at Willseyville until five years ago (1892), when he moved to Candor village. He is still interested in farming, but also conducts a livery business and deals in coal. Harry Ross was born in Connecticut and came to Tioga county when but four years old. The journey was made with an ox team. The family settled at what is now called West Candor. They were among the first to settle in the county, and still later, when they moved to Willseyville only three acres had been cleared there. Harry Ross died in 1895, aged eighty-three years. Mrs. Ross's father and mother were born in Caroline, Tompkins county.

FRANK E. DEWEY, was born in the town of Candor, December 30, 1860, and is a son of. Daniel and Rebecca (Hammond) Dewey, both of whom are now living in the town of Candor. Mr. Dewey married, March 7, 1882, Eva L., daughter of Daniel and Philanda (Tuttle) Lounsbury. They have two children, Homer L., born July 5, 1884, and Lena. May, born March 22, 1889. Mr. Dewey has passed his entire life in Candor engaged in farming, but more recently in handling agricultural implements. Mrs. Dewey's grandfather was one of the first settlers in the county, coming here from Connecticut.

S. E. GRIDLEY, son of William Cadwèll and Eliza (Woodbridge) Gridley was born on November 17, 1842, in the. town of Candor. He married on December 1, 1875, Dell E., daughter of Newton S. Gridley and Mary Dean, his wife. they have three daughters and two sons, Cora M., born August 28, 1876; Dorothy K., born January 27, 1879; Bessie, born February 8, 1883; William N., born March 25, 1885, and Egbert B. Gridley, born June 16, 1887. Mr. Gridley lived at the old homestead at West Candor till about 1881 when he moved to Candor for school advantages for his children. He operates a planing mill.

CHARLES FRANCIS GRIDLEY, son of William Cadwell and Eliza (Woodbridge) Gridley, was born at his present home at West Candor, December 16, 1848. The Gridley family is one of the oldest in the town of Candor, as the great-grandfather of Charles Francis, Seeler Gridley, sent his son Russell from Connecticut in 1802 to investigate the country here, and the next year brought his family hither and took possession of 1,700 acres of land at West Candor, on account of the timber. Russell Gridley was a captain of militia in the war of 1812, and Seeler was a soldier in the revolutionary army. Russell Gridley married Miss Sarah Kelsey, and his son, William Cadwell Gridley, father of Russell W., William Cadwell, S. E., Eben C., and Charles Fiancis, married Eliza Woodbridge, who now lives with Charles, her husband having died June 9, 1875. Howell Woodbridge, grandfather of Mrs. Gridley, was a colonel in the revolutionary army. Charles F. Gridley was appointed postmaster at West Candor by President Hayes, and has held the office since. He is one of Candor's representative men.

JOHN THOMAS GRIDLEY, a descendant of one of the pioneer families of Tioga county, was born at West Candor, December 2, 1867. His father was William E. Gridley. a son of William C. Gridley, one of the early settlers of the county. Mr. Gridley's mother was Augusta Keeler, daughter of Ira Keeler. Mr. Gridley attended school at West Candor, Candor academy, Cornell university and in June, 1892, was graduated from the Columbia college law-school. He was admitted to the New York city bar the same month and stayed for a short time in the office of ex-Judge Warren Highley, removing thence to Candor, where he has since resided and practiced law. In February 1895 he was elected justice of the peace, which office he still holds. He is a member of Veritas lodge I. O. O. F. Mr. Gridley married June 13, 1893, Sadie N., daughter of Charles Newton Gridley of Spencer.

NELSON T. STILSON, son of Dyman Stilson and his wife who was formerly Mrs. Diana (Sager) Fletcher, was born in Spencer on December 12, 1850. After an education in the common schools, Mr. Stilson became a teacher for one term in Barton and for one in Spencer, and. since then has made agriculture his vocation, in connection therewith at various times. selling nursery stock and agricultural implements. He married on October 5, 1873. Miss Florence Augusta Kirk, daughter of Henry and Mary J. (Crossen) Kirk, who was born on March 18, 1852. Their children are Drusilla, Cora U., Robert L., Charles H., Barney J. and George B. Mr. Stilson has been a resident of Spencer all his life previous to 1890 when he made his home on Cass or Irish Hill in Candor, where he now owns over 200 acres of land, and is one of the representative farmers of that section of the town.

GEORGE FRED ROE, son of George W. and Sarah A. (McPherson) Roe, was born in the town of Candor November 26, 1863. His father died June 27, 1864, from sickness contracted while in the army, he being a member of Company A, 109 N. Y. Volunteers. George W. Roe was the youngest son of Philips and Mary (Jones) Roe; and Philips Roe was the oldest son of Gamaliel Roe, one of the first settlers in Mottville, now Brookton, Tompkins county. The Roe family is of Irish descent, and G-arnaliel, grandfather of the present Gamaliel Roe, secured a grant of the Brookton property as payment for debt, and held by right of possession though the courts decided against him. William Roe, father of Gamaliel was a soldier in the revolutionary army. Mr. Roe's mother was a daughter of Hugh and Sarah (Van Etten) McPherson. Hugh was the youngest son of Daniel and Amy (Finehout) McPherson. Daniel was one of the early settlers of Danby, Tompkins county, emigrating from Inverness, Scotland. George Fred Roe married, December 26, 1891, Abbie M., daughter of Clark W. and Alice (Talcott) Beebe, of Candor. They have three children: Hugh B., born September 26, 1892; Homer C., born March 1, 1894; Alice T., born July 7, 1896. Mr. Roe joined Candor lodge 411 F. & A. M. in February, 1885, and at present is. senior master of ceremonies; he is senior sagamore of Candor lodge I. O. R. M., and past captain of Wilderness Camp, No. 95 S. O. V. (disbanded). He was elected tax collector of the town on the republican ticket in 1896. Mr. Roe came to Candor seventeen years ago and in 1891 purchased the meat market of William J. Milks and three years ago purchased and remodeled his present home and place of business.

WILLIAM A. WRIGHT, son of John and Julia (Dykeman) Wright, was born in Danby, N. Y., August 22, 1834, and in 1865 he was married with Helen, daughter of Sterling Barber. He is a farmer in Candor where he made his home after marriage. He is a member and active worker in the Baptist church. Mr. Wright, during the rebellion enlisted in Co. C., 42d Mass. Regt. and served one year, and is a representative and law-abiding citizen of the town. Sterling Barber was born in Hartford, Conn., prior to 1810. He was married in 1833 with Folly Plumer, and came to Candor where he resided until his death. He had five children.

ALBERT PERKENS, son of Oscar B. and Jane (Salisbury) Perkins, was born September 19, 1874, in Chenango county, N. Y. His first active business in this county was in 1889, when he was employed at the milk station at Owego. He remained there four years, until 1893, when he came to Catatonk and took charge of the Taylor milk station, was soon appointed postmaster, and took possession of the office on July 1, 1897. On March 3, 1897, he was married with Jennie, daughter of S. T. Kyle.

HENRY QUICK, son of Philip and Eliza (Myers) Quick, was born November 25, 1830. He was educated in the common schools and on February' 9, 1854, was married with Clara Smith. They settled in Caroline where Mr. Quick engaged in farming and held the offices of assessor and superintendent of the poor. In 1880 he changed his residence to Candor, and has also served as assessor here. He has two children, Philip E (who married Clara M. Herrick, and has one son, Vernon H.), and Carrie V. (Mrs. L. W. Smith), of Owego. .

ARCHIBALD W. BENEDICT, son of Horace and Nancy (Bonney) Benedict, was born August 20, 1846, in Cortland county and came to Tioga county in 1876. He married, February 11, 1874, Maria A., daughter of William W. and Harriet (Howland) Willsey. Mrs. Wiisey has one sister, Sarah A., who lives with Mr. Benedict at Willseyville. They have one child, J. W., born December 20, 1882. The settlement at Willseyville takes its name from Jacob Willsey, grandfather of Mr. Benedict. He was one of the first settlers in the county, coming from Connecticut. He was justice of the peace for many years, and at one time kept a hotel where Mr. Benedict now resides. He was an early stage proprietor and was one of the owners of the stage line from Ithaca to Owego in the days when all traveling in Tioga county was done by stage. Mr. Benedict was, before he moved to Tioga county, a keeper in Auburn prison and also was an assistant keeper at the Cortland county almshouse. Mr. Benedict's family moved from Massachusetts to Cortland county in 1809.

JAMES HENRY HEATH was born in Dryden, Tompkins county, April 16, 1830, and moved to Tioga county thirty-four years ago, locating at Willseyville, where he has since resided. He married, January 26, 1853, Mary Jane Roosa, of Dryden. They have one son, Charles, born September 6, 1858. Charles married Mary Lawrence, of Willseyville, and resides in the town of Caroline, Tompkins county. They have six children: Lena, Floyd, Ruth, Neffie, Ioa Kate and Doris. Mr. Heath is a veterinary surgeon of long standing and has been for many years a notary public. Mr. Heath, joined the Slaterville. lodge of free and accepted Masons when he was twenty-two years old and there still holds his membership.

EMMET R. BRUNDAGE was born in Newfield, Tompkins county, and came to Candor thirty-two years ago to become station agent for the D., L. & W. railroad, in which position he continued until his death, July 30, 1883. He married Lydia A. Harvey, of Enfield, Tompkins county, December 25, 1864. Mr. Brundage enlisted at the outbreak of the civil war in the 137th New York Volunteers and served eighteen months, until he was wounded at Gettysburg. His health was greatly impaired and he was obliged to return home. Mrs. Brundage is still a resident of Candor and is highly respected.

JESSE W. HENDERSON, son of George and Wealthy (Whittaker) Henderson, was born in Starrucca, Pa., on February 22, 1834. When about seventeen he became a resident of Delaware county, N; Y., and engaged in various occupations until about 1862, when he went to Iowa, and for four years was an engineer. In 1866 he ,cáme to Candor and took the position of foreman of the Humboldt tannery, employing twenty-five men. From that time Mr. Henderson has been a resident of Candor, and for a quarter of a century was the valued foreman and agent of the tannery interests. He is a republican in politics, belongs to the Methodist Episcopal church, and is a quiet and law-abiding citizen. In 1862 Mr. Henderson married Caroline Baker, of Candor, a daughter of the wellremembered Isaac Baker. Two children blesses their beautiful home, Nettie E. (Mrs. Henry H. Booth), and Fred D. Henderson. Mrs. Booth died in June, 1894, at her home in Flandreau, South Dakota, where Mr. Booth is cashier of the Moody county bank, leaving an infant child, Anson H. Booth. Fred D. Henderson is an employee of the above named bank.

EMERY C. MIX, son of Miles C. and Mary Ann (Soule) Mix, was born April 22, 1855, at Willseyville. When twenty-one years of age he established a blacksmith shop, having before that time worked with his father at the same trade. He is still engaged in that business and in farming. Mr. Mix, on March 12, 1876, married (1) Agnes B. McKewin, of Tompkins county, who died in March, 1880. They had two daughters, Elva J., born November 18, 1876, and Lillian D., born January 21, 1878. He married (2) Ella G., daughter of George.. W. and Helen (Liddington) Strong, of Willseyville, on October 25, 1882. They have one child, Harry G., born May 26, 1884. Mr. Mix was a prominent democrat until 1896, when he joined the republican party. He served as justice of the peace from 1891 to 1895, and was postmaster at Wilseyville during President Cleveland's first administration.

Return to [Tioga County Bios] [ Online Biographies ] [ New York History ]

.Blind Counter

All pages copyright 2009. All items on this site are copyrighted by their author(s). These pages may be linked to but not used on another web site. Anyone may copy and use the information provided here freely for personal use only. Privacy Policy