JAMES P. COURTNY.
A valuable farm property of three hundred and eighty six acres, located in Port Louisa township, Louisa county,
stands as the visible evidence of the splendid success that has been achieved by James P: Courtny. He is a native
of this state, born in Muscatine, February 4, 1867, a son of James and Mary (Leahy) Courtny. The mother was born
in Ireland and the father was a Canadian by birth. They were married, however, in Muscatine, Iowa, and there lived
for twenty five years, after which they established a permanent residence in Louisa county. Here the father purchased
a farm of one hundred and fifty four acres on section 15, Port Louisa township, which constitutes a part of the
land now owned by your subject. He was for many years actively engaged in farming and became a prosperous and influential
citizen of his section of the county. He passed away in the year 188o and was for many years survived by his widow,
who departed this life in 1892. They reared a family of seven children, of whom James P. of this review is the
eldest. The others are: John T., a resident of Jackson township; Katie, who died in childhood; Frank, who makes
his home in Washington county, Iowa; Michael, who makes his home with his brother James; Ella, the wife of H. E.
Kelly, of El Paso, Texas; and Felista, who died at the age of eighteen years.
James P. Courtny was reared on the home farm, assisting in the work of plowing, planting and harvesting during
the spring and summer seasons, while in the winter months he pursued his studies in the common schools. He gave
his father the benefit of his services until he attained his majority, and then in connection with his younger
brothers, he operated the homestead farm for four years. At the end of that time he purchased his brothers' interests
in the home farm and has since been alone in business. As above stated, the home place comprised one hundred and
fifty four acres, to which Mr. Courtly added as his financial resources pet mated until his possessions now cover
three hundred and eighty six acres, of which two hundred and twenty five acres are under cultivation. This land
is located in Port Louisa township and is some of the most productive to be found in the county, or in fact, in
the state. Mr. Courtny has a thorough understanding of the best methods of farm work and his labors have brought
him a substantial measure of prosperity.
Mr. Courtny was married August 12, 1895, the lady of his choice being Miss Nancy H. Brown, who was born in Davis
county, Iowa, in June, 1861, a daughter of John and Anna (Daniels) Brown. They were both natives of Ohio but were
numbered among the pioneer settlers of Iowa, their first home being in Davis county. Eventually they established
their home in Louisa county, where their remaining days were passed. The father died in 1870, but the mother survived
for many years and departed this life in 1892. They became the parents of the following children, of whom only
six are now living: Benjamin, a resident of Louisa county; Peter, now in Alaska; Elizabeth, the wife of H. J. Speck,
a resident of Oklahoma; Mary, the wife of H. N. Matthews, of Oakville, Iowa; Nancy H., now Mrs. Courtny; and David,
a resident of Carroll, Iowa.
To Mr. and Mrs. Courtny have been born three children: Velma L., who was born January 28, 1896; James O., born
March 19, 1898; and Edna J., born March 13, 1900. In politics Mr. Courtny is a republican but is not an office
seeker, the only public position he has ever filled being that on the school board. He is a Modern Woodman, belonging
to the camp at Wapello, and he and his family are identified with the Catholic church. Steadily pursuing his way
undeterred by the obstacles and difficulties that beset his path in earlier life, he has achieved a prosperity
of which he has every reason to be proud, and at the same time commands the highest respect and good will of his
History of Louisa County, Iowa
From Its Earliest Settlement to 1912
The S. J. Clarke Publishing Co.
Decatur County, IA
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium