Iowa county lost a valued and representative citizen when Henry Wiese passed away at his home, "Rock Nook,"
at Kenwood Park, on the 1st of December, 1912. He had completed the Psalmist's allotted span of three score years
and ten, yet his death was unexpected and the news of his demise was a sad blow to his many friends and associates.
He was born in Holstein, Germany, on the 22d of February, 1842, a son of Hans and Anna Wiese. His father came to
America in 1853 on a sailing vessel, settling in Scott county, Iowa, where he lived until 1868, when he removed
to Iowa county, taking up his abode in Sumner township. There he continued to reside for many years, passing away
October 10, 1907, when he had reached the very venerable age of ninety five years, one month and twenty eight days.
He had survived his wife, who died February 4, 1905, at the age of eighty seven years, two months and three days.
Henry Wiese was a little lad of ten years when he accompanied his parents on their emigration to the United States,
a long, tedious voyage of eight weeks being terminated when they landed at New Orleans. From that point they proceeded
up the Mississippi river to Davenport, Iowa, where the father worked at various kinds of labor for seven years.
At the end of that time he removed to a farm in Hickory Grove, Scott county. In 1868 Henry Wiese came to Iowa county,
making the trip with an ox team, and settling on a beautiful piece of prairie in Sumner township, which is now
the old home place. He spent many hours in improving and beautifying his home with flowers, shrubs and trees until
it attracts the attention of the most casual observer by its loveliness.
On the 24th of February, 1873, Mr. Wiese was united in marriage to Miss Sophia Rieck, who was born in Germany on
the 30th of August, 1852, a daughter of John and Mary Rieck, who came to the United States with their family in
1857, settling in Washington township, Iowa county, where both her father and mother died. Since her husband's
death Mrs. Wiese has made her home with her children, who are Mrs. J. D. Misbach, of Sumner township; Ella, now
the wife of W. C. Langlas, of Sumner township; Gustave H., of Cedar Rapids; and Louis A., who resides on the old
homestead farm. There were also seven grandchildren and to them the grandfather was deeply attached.
In 1884 Mr. Wiese was elected county auditor and discharged his duties promptly and faithfully, so that he made
an excellent record and won reelection. He was a good business man, farsighted, sagacious and thoroughly reliable.
He belonged to that class of men who place honor above everything else and his integrity, industry and frugality
contributed to winning him the high and well merited reputation which he enjoyed. He represented citizenship in
its best form. In September, 1909, he retired from active farm work and removed to Kenwood Park, here his beautiful
home, "Rock Nook," proved his shelter during his remaining days. Hospitality there reigned supreme and
his friends most willingly accepted his proffered invitations to visit him; His last days were spent in the midst
of most attractive surroundings, his time being largely given to the cultivation of the flowers which he so greatly
loved. There the final summons came and he passed on, leaving behind him the memory of an honorable, upright life,
beautiful in its sincerity and simplicity and in the nobility of his purpose.
History of Iowa County, Iowa
And its People
By: James C. Dinwiddie
The S. J. Clarke Publishing Co.
Iowa County, IA
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium