W. C. Carson, a clothier and men's furnisher of North English, has a well established business and is a leader
in mercantile circles in Iowa county. He was born near Iowa City, in Johnson county, on the 15th of September,
1867, a son of Andrew C. and Charlotte (Gardner) Carson, natives of Kentucky and New York state respectively. On
his mother's side he is descended from Revolutionary stock and two of the brothers of his grandmother Gardner served
in the War of 1812. The ancestry of the Gardner family has been traced back much farther than the Revolutionary
period, as it is known that one of the ancestors of the family was John Smith, who was so prominently identified
with the first colonization of Virginia Mr. and Mrs. Andrew C. Carson were married in Johnson county, Iowa, as
both the Carson and Gardner families were pioneer settlers there, the former arriving about 1843 and the latter
about 1855. After their marriage the parents of our subject settled upon a farm in Johnson county, where they resided
until about 1872, when they removed to Iowa county and settled upon a farm in English township belonging to the
father. After residing here two years, he sold his farm and returned to Johnson county, but five years later he
came again to his place in this county, as the purchaser had failed to pay for the land. Mr. Carson continued to
reside here until his death, which occurred on the 21st of December, 1907. He won a large measure of success and
became the owner of two hundred and fifty acres of fine land, two hundred acres of which is still a part of the
estate. His widow survives and resides with a daughter in the northern part of Iowa.
W. C. Carson was reared under the parental roof and after attending the public schools entered Valparaiso University
at Valparaiso, Indiana, completing the business course in that institution in June, 1888. The summer of the following
year he located in North English, Iowa, and established the clothing and men's furnishings store which he still
conducts. During the more than a quarter of a century that he has engaged in merchandising here he has maintained
a position of leadership and is widely recognized as one of the prominent business men of Iowa county. He carries
a stock which appeals to men of discriminating taste and as he is not only thoroughly reliable but is also invariably
courteous in his treatment of his patrons, he has little difficulty in holding custom once gained.
Mr. Carson was married in 1889 to Miss Jessie Herring, of Iowa City, who was graduated from the State University
of Iowa with the degree of Bachelor of Arts. To their union were born four children: Gladys, who is a senior in
the State University of Iowa; Dean H., who is employed in his father's store; Maidie, who is a senior in the North
English high school; and Frank B. Mrs. Carson passed away on the 7th of August, 19o7, and her demise was sincerely
mourned by many.
Mr. Carson is a stalwart republican and for a number of years has served on the town council. At the time that
the water works were installed in North English he was chairman of the water works committee and carried a large
share of the responsibility for the successful installation of the plant. For eleven or twelve years he was a member
of the township board of trustees and for twenty two years has been secretary of the school board. He belongs to
North English Lodge, No. 256, K. P., and served as the first chancellor commander on the organization of the lodge
in April, 1891. He was also the first president of the Boosters Club. He has been identified with many phases of
community life and activity, and his influence has always been on the side of progress and advancement.
History of Iowa County, Iowa
And its People
By: James C. Dinwiddie
The S. J. Clarke Publishing Co.
Iowa County, IA
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium