GEORGE C. GARDNER.
Among the efficient and popular county officials of Napa county and public spirited citizens of this community
stands George C. Gardner, the present county recorder. He is a native son of this county, born in the Soscol valley
on the 21st day of June, 1884, and is the son of George F. and Dora L. (Hill) Gardner, both of whom also are natives
of Napa county.
George C. Gardner supplemented the schooling received in the Napa public schools by a course in the Napa Business
College and became employed with Deweese & Gardner as a searcher of records, continuing thus employed until
1904 when he became bookkeeper for the F. G. Noyes Lumber Company. From 1905 to 1910 he was engaged in the retail
tobacco business and then, in 1909, he bought the Fashion livery stable, at First and Main streets, in connection
with which he ran a stage to Monticello. In 1915, Mr. Gardner was elected a member of the city council and was
placed in charge of streets and public improvements. He took an active interest in this phase of city affairs and
it was during his term that the first concrete pavement was laid in Napa. He encouraged public improvements, both
on the part of private property owners and by the city, and did all he could to stimulate a desire for better conditions.
In November, 1918, Mr. Gardner was elected county recorder, taking office on the first day of the following January,
and is now serving his second term in that office. In the conduct of the office he has exercised sound judgment
and wise discrimination, discarding some antique methods and introducing new and improved ways of doing things,
so that the office is now being conducted at a minimum of labor and expense and a maximum of efficiency. In December,
1923, Mr. Gardner bought an interest in the Napa Riverside Creamery, his partner being F. J. Ponceitta. This is
one of the pioneer creameries of northern California and was the first in the state to establish a commercial ice
cream plant, their brand, the famous "Ambrosia" ice cream, being popular throughout the Napa and Solano
valleys. They also make "Napa Riverside" butter. Their annual product amounts to thirty thousand gallons
of ice cream and two hundred and twenty five thousand pounds of butter, in addition to which they sell quantities
of sweet milk, for which they use three delivery trucks. Fifteen persons are employed in the business, which is
enjoying a steady and healthy growth.
Mr. Gardner is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, belonging to both subordinate lodge and canton
and Major of the latter, and is also district deputy of the order for Napa valley. He also belongs to the Eagles,
a past president of Napa Aerie, No. 161; the Napa Rotary Club; the Napa Parlor, Native Sons of the Golden West,
and Napa Lodge, No. 832, Benevolent Protective Order of Elks. On June 13, 1901, Mr. Gardner enlisted in the California
National Guard, joining Company H of the Fifth Infantry Regiment. He was elected first lieutenant on October 4,
1904, and was chosen captain on March 25, 1905, when but twenty years of age, and in that capacity commanded the
company when it was called to San Francisco during the troublous scenes following the earthquake and fire in 1906.
Mr. Gardner married Miss Matilda Anderlina, who was born and reared in San Francisco, and they have two children,
Georgia, aged twelve years, and Wesley, aged nine years. In a straightforward, conservative manner, Mr. Gardner
has sought to perform the duties of a progressive citizen, while advancing his own interests, and his support has
always been counted upon in furtherance of all measures for the betterment of the general welfare. For these reasons,
as well as by reason of his genial and attractive personality, he enjoys the esteem and good will of the entire
History of Solano County, California
BY: Marguerite Hune
Napa County, California
BY: Harry Lawrence Gunn
The S. J. Clarke Publishing Co.
Napa County, CA
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium