Clark and Jackson
Also see [ Railway Officials in America 1906
WILLIAM W. TAPLIN, proprietor of the NeillsviIle Foundry, located on North Hewett street, started the same
in the spring of 1881. The size of the building is 24 x 60 and 20 x 90, with two wings for storage. The machinery
is run by a fifteen horse power engine, and the shop is the only one of its kind in the city. His work is shipped
throughout the State, He does all kinds of work, and has also done most of the plumbing and steam fitting for the
city, employing several men, besides himself, who is a first class mechanic.
Mr. Taplin was born in Canada, February 14, 1845, the son of Hiram and Lucina (Clifford) Taplin, natives of Canada.
The father was the son of Augustns and Polly (Drew) Taplin, natives of Vermont, who in 1790 emigrated to Lower
Canada, and subsequently removed to Oshawa, Ontario, where the former died at the advanced age of eightynine years.
Our subject's parents are still living in Oshawa, Ontario, being at present engaged in the dairy business, They
have four children still living: William W., Elgin W., a hardware merchant in Muskoka, Canada, and Oscar H., a
farmer residing in Quebec, and Anna Drew, of Riverside, California. William W. was reared in the mu ills and carriage
shops of his father, which business the latter followed until 1885. He was a graduate of the High School of Canada.
At the age of eighteen he left his native country and located at Detroit, Michigan, where he was engaged in a saw
mill for a short time. He then went to Lucas County, Ohio, where he engaged in the erection of a mill fbr the noted
Captain E. B. Ward, of Detroit. In the spring of 1864 he visited relatives in Richiand County, Wisconsin, returning
to Canada. At the close of the war, he removed to Saginaw County, Michigan, and there worked at the milling business
six months. He next went to La Fayette, Indiana, and engaged in setting up machinery for manufacturing baskets,
visiting several cities, including Cincinnati, putting up machinery for the same business, e returned to Tippecanoe
County, Indiana, where he operated a mill for a year. In 1867 he again returned to Canada, being engaged with the
A. S. Whiting Manufacturing Company for about one year, after which he came to Chicago. He was there engaged as
foreman for the S. I. Russell Company's shop until the same was destroyed by fire. Mr. Taplin then accepted the
agency of the Singer sewing machine of that city, arid acted in that capacity till the year 1870.
In 1869 he was married to Miss Adella Brundage, of Chicago.
In the spring of 1870 he returned to Canada, where he was again engaged with the A. S. Whiting Manufacturing Company,
remaining there till the spring of 1871, when he engaged with the Chase Bros. & Bowman, nurserymen, of Rochester,
New York, till the summer of 1872. Returning to Chicago, he followed various occupations until the fall of 1876.
Accompanied by two other mechanics, be then went to Port Washington, Wisconsin, where they were engaged in the
manufacture of sewing machines which business proved a failure. The following year they went to Fredonia, Wisconsin,
where they rented and operated a foundry till 1881, after which Mr. Taplin went to Neillaville, where he is still
engaged in the same business. He held the office of Alderman of the First Ward three years, and is one of the prominent
business men of Meillsville.
He has a family of four children, viz.: May, Frank, William and Neil, all of whom are attending school. Politically
Mr. Taplin affiliates with the Republican party.
Biographical History of
Clark and Jackson Counties Wisconsin
Lewis Publishing Company.