BURTON, WILLIAM B. The subject of this sketch was born in the town of Manchester, on the farm now owned and
occupied by his brother, George G. Burton, on the 3d day of July 1820. His father was Joseph, and his mother Anna
(Bendect) Burton, and of their six children William was the eldest but one. The father, Joseph Burton, was a farmer,
and on the farm William was brought up at work, attending school in season, until he reached the age of about twenty
years, when, having been educated at the Burr and Burton Seminary at Manchester, he began teaching school, which
occupation engaged his attention for several years.
About the year 1848, in copartnership with F. W. Hoyt, Mr. Burton embarked in the mercantile business at Manchester
village, but three years of experience in trade brought the firm no gratifying results, and the establishment was
closed. But Mr. Burton settled the affairs of the unfortunate firm, and accepted a clerkship or managing position
in connection with a union store gotten tip and stocked by the farmers of the vicinity, and located at Factory
Point (now Manchester Center), which business Mr. Burton conducted for about eight years.
In 1862 our subject formed a partnership with Samuel G. Cone of Manchester, and succeeded by purchase to the mercantile
business formerly conducted by Franklin H. Orvis; and about five years later the firm added to their interests
another store at Factory Point, in both of which enterprises they have been engaged to the present day. It is no
flattering comment to state that the business of this firm has been entirely successful, or that the members of
the firm are both counted among the most honorable and fair dealing men in the community. From 1862 to 1875 Mr.
Burton also held the office as postmaster.
William B. Burton has never been an aspirant for political honors in his town or in the county, but has been content
to busy himself with the affairs of his own interests; still there is no man that has been more closely identified
with the various measures looking to the benefit and welfare of the town than he. In matters pertaining to the
church, with which he has for upwards of thirty years been connected as a member, Mr. BURTON has taken a deep interest,
contributing both of his time and means for the advancement and prosperity of the Congregational Society. The office
of treasurer of that society he held for many years, and insisted on being retired from the duties of the same
at the last annual meeting, but still he holds the office of deacon. For more than forty years he was leader of
the choir in the Congregational Church.
On the 16th day of August, 1846 William B. Burton was married to Angeline M., the daughter of Abraham B. Straight,
of Manchester. Of this union three children were born, only two of whom grew to maturity. His wife died on the
13th day of December, 1877. On the 15th day of June, 1880 Mr. BURTON was married to Elizabeth T. Morgan, the daughter
of a highly respected and prominent pioneer resident, Colonel A. W. Morgan, of Glens Falls, Warren county, N. Y.