M. S. THOMPSON, druggist, etc., Coudersport, was born in North Norwich, Chenango Co., N. Y., in 1842, where
he received his education, enjoying such advantages as the common schools afforded. The parents of Mr. Thompson
were Henry and Jane (Henry) Thompson. His paternal grandfather was of German descent, and his paternal grandmother
of Scotch extraction. Grandfather Henry was of Irish blood, and it is thought that the name was originally McHenry.
Mr. Henry's wife was a genuine Yankee, but the nationality of her ancestors in unknown. M. S. Thompson came to
Coudersport, Potter Co., Penn., in 1859, and worked at the wheelwright's trade for about three years, when he entered
the employ of P. A. Stebbins & Son, with whom he remained until the fall of 1866, at which time he became associated
with Dr. O. T. Ellison, in the drug trade, Mr. Thompson beginning business on a cash capital of $100. The firm
name was Ellison & Thompson, which in 1868 was changed to Thompson & Mann, and in 1879 to M. S. Thompson
& Co. Their place of business is on the corner of Main and Third streets, the mammoth double store at once
attracting attention. It is 80x26 feet. with a rear apartment measuring 34x26. The building is owned by M. S. Thompson
& Co., and is a handsome structure built of brick, the second floor being divided into offices. There are but
few drug stores along the main line of the Erie Railroad that will compare with this In its construction both exterior
and interior, very fine work has been done. The stock is an immense one, and comprises drugs, books, stationery,
wall paper, fancy goods, paints, oils, curtains, watches, jewelry, silverware, smokers' supplies and many other
lines, and Mr. Thompson also has the exclusive agency for the Sherwin Williams and the H. W. Johns paints. Physicians'
prescriptions are compounded with the utmost care. Toliet articles of every variety are here found. Fancy cutlery,
lamps and lamp fixtures are displayed, and school supplies are also kept. Mr. Thompson was postmaster at Coudersport
from 1869 to 1887, and this post office is one of considerable importance, owing to the fact of the town being
the county seat. In the long period of Mr. Thompson's service, he made marked improvements in the standing of the
office, and placed it on a firm footing of prosperity. The interior arrangements are admirably planned. The store
is a noted center of trade, and people throughout Potter county find it profitable to do business with Thompson
& Co., owing to the high standard of the stock and the low figures at which goods are sold. In addition to
his valuable realty, Mr. Thompson has an interest in the Coudersport & Port Allegany Railroad. He is a member
of the Republican party, and is at present the very able burgess of the borough of Coudersport. He is a public
spirited man, and takes a lively interest in all local matters, having contributed toward the erection of the Soldiers'
Monument, churches, etc. Mr. Thompson was married September 30, 1868, to Miss Cora E., daughter of John S. Mann.
He has two adopted daughters: Marcia C., seventeen years of age, and Marion I., eleven years old.
History of the Counties of
McKean, Elk, Cameron and Potter, Pennsylvania
J. H. Beers & Co. Publishers
Chicago, Ill. 1890
Potter County, Pa. Biographies
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium