JASON W. STEVENS, general merchant, Harrison Valley, was born in Cortland county, N. Y., March 25, 1839, a son
of Kelsey and Emeline (Watrous) Stevens, both natives of Cortland county, who settled in Harrison township, Potter
Co., Penn., locating on the farm now owned by G. W. Stevens, most of which they cleared and improved. Their children
were Sylvester K., Minerva C. (Mrs. H. N. Stone), Jason W., George W. and Eugene K. J. W. Stevens was reared in
Harrison township from the age of ten years, remaining at home until after the breaking out of the Civil war, when
he enlisted, October 16, 1861, in Company G, Fifty third Pennsylvania Volunteers. He reenlisted as a veteran December
20, 1863, in same company and regiment, served until the close of the war, and was mustered out June 30, 1865.
He was wounded twice; first at Fredericksburg, December 14, 1862, and again in front of Petersburg, June 18, 1864.
He was commissioned captain of his company August 25, 1864. After the war he engaged in farming, and in the fall
of 1866 was elected treasurer of Potter county for a term of two years. In 1869 he embarked in mercantile business
at Harrison Valley, in which he has since successfully continued, there being at the time but two stores in Harrison
township. Mr. Stevens was twice married. His first wife was Angie, daughter of Luke and Mary (Rathbone) Darling.
of Allegheny township, Potter Co., Penn., by whom he has one son, Archie. His second wife was Rilla, daughter of
Job and Chloe (Ellis) Rixford, of Tioga county, Penn., and they have four children: Lina, Mildred, Arthur and Lura.
Mr. Stevens was postmaster at Harrison Valley from 1869 to 1885, a term of sixteen years. He is a member of Ulysses
Post, No. 279, G. A. R. Politically he is a Republican.
History of the Counties of
McKean, Elk, Cameron and Potter, Pennsylvania
J. H. Beers & Co. Publishers
Chicago, Ill. 1890
Potter County, Pa. Biographies
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium