E. N. STEBBINS. merchant, Coudersport, is a native of Hammondsport, N. Y., born in 1835. He received a common
school education, and in 1855 went to Green Bay, Wis., where he engaged in mercantile business, but after a time
returned east, and in 1857 located at Coudersport, Potter Co., Penn., becoming here a dealer in general merchandise.
At the beginning of the Civil war he was appointed paymaster and military storekeeper in the ordnance department,
II. S. A., and stationed at Washington arsenal. Soon after the close of the struggle (in October, 1865) he resigned,
and located at Bridgeport, Conn., where he engaged in the manufacture of hardware, having a store in New York City.
In 1875, under the administration of President Grant, he was appointed a member of the Board of Indian Commissioners,
upon which he served three years, when he resigned and returned to Coudersport, where he has since been one of
its prominent merchants, and is one of its representative men. He has cast his fortune with the Democratic party,
and after one of the hottest fights ever made for a post office in Pennsylvania, received the appointment of postmaster
in 1887. While a resident of Bridge. port he married Miss Mary T. Clapp, and they are the parents of nine children,
five of whom, with their parents, are members of the Episcopal Church of Coudersport, which Mr. Stebbins was largely
instrumental in building.
History of the Counties of
McKean, Elk, Cameron and Potter, Pennsylvania
J. H. Beers & Co. Publishers
Chicago, Ill. 1890
Potter County, Pa. Biographies
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium