Biography of A. R. Moore
Potter County, PA Biographies

A. R. MOORE, one of the enterprising citizens of Coudersport, is a son of Ross Anna and Mary E. (Gleason) Moore, and was born in Belfast, Allegany Co., N. Y., in 1858. His father was a native of Richford, Tioga Co., N.Y., and was married there December 31, 1837. He was a stonecutter by trade, and established marble works, but removed to Alma, Allegany county, thence to Collins, thence to Belfast (all in the same State), where he remained until 1867, when he came to Ulysses township, Potter Co., Penn., where he purchased a farm and remained until his death, November 6, 1883; his wife died October 22, 1881. They united with the Methodist Episcopal Church at Belfast, in 1842, of which they were always faithful and consistent members. He was a Knight Templar, and in politics a member of the Republican party. Much might be said of his social and family relations, but it is sufficient to say that he was a devoted husband, a kind and affectionate parent, and a desirable acquisition to the community in which he resided. Their children are Laura J., now Mrs. Charles C. Perry, of Saginaw, Mich.; Wm. W., who married Mrs. Amelia Rodgers, now of Westfield, Tioga Co., Penn.; Mary E., now Mrs. Chester E. Lyman, of Cleveland, Ohio; Nancy J., now Mrs. Theodore Carpenter, of Ulysses; James W., who married Nellie Scott, now of Raymond; Chauncey Z., who married Kate E. Acker, also of Raymond, and Alonzo R., who remained with his parents until their decease. In November, 1883, the subject of these lines embarked in mercantile business at Raymond Corners, Potter Co., Penn., but in 1885 returned to the old homestead and worked the farm. During that year, however, he removed to Coudersport, where he became proprietor of a stage line between Coudersport and Harrison Valley, and removing to the latter place in April, 1886, he became the popular landlord of the Harrison Valley House. December 1, 1888, Mr. Moore leased the Commercial House at Coudersport, its principal hotel, which at this writing he is conducting. In 1885 he married Miss Mary L , daughter of Frank B. Langdon. Mr. Moore is a member of Eulalia Lodge, No. 342, F. & A. M. In politics he is a Republican, and he and his wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church.


From:
History of the Counties of
McKean, Elk, Cameron and Potter, Pennsylvania
J. H. Beers & Co. Publishers
Chicago, Ill. 1890


Privacy Policy for OnlineBiographies

NAVIGATION
Potter County, Pa. Biographies

Online
Biographies

Pennsylvania
Histories

New York
Histories

For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium

Family Tree Maker 2012