C. H. ARMSTRONG, merchant, Coudersport, was born in Tioga county, N. Y., in 1832. His parents removed to Ulysses,
Potter Co., Penn., when he was a child, and were among its early settlers. They purchased the first cook stove
used in that township His father was a shoemaker by trade, but partially cleared a farm in Ulysses, and in 1853
removed to Coudersport, where, in 1881, he died; his widow is now in her seventy second year. Their children were
C. H., Lydia R. (now Mrs. W. B. Gordnier), Chloe M. (now Mrs. O. H. Crosby), Ezra R. (deceased), Amelia J. (now
Mrs. Capt. Theodore Hatfield, United States army, stationed at Kansas City, Mo.), Orlando E., Fred L. (deceased)
and Parmelia (now Mrs. H. A. Scoville).
C. H. Armstrong began his business life as a farmer in Ulysses township, Potter county, but in 1861 came to Coudersport
and engaged in the manufacture of shoes. In 1868 he bought a hardware store, which he conducted until 1877, when
he purchased, on Second street, property destroyed by the fire of 1880, but which he at once replaced with a handsome
brick building, containing two large stores, one 98x23. the other 85x23, and which is, without doubt, the most
commodious, complete and best calculated building for a country store in the United States. On the second floor,
in a capacious room, is a store room for crockery and room for unpacking it, with elevator of modern construction;
a store room for groceries and fruits of all kinds, and a separate room for smoked meats. In the cellar, which
is high and thy, well ventilated and light, is a buttery, and in a separate compartment is a vegetable cellar,
where are also kept molasses. syrups, etc. In still another compartment are pork, fish, etc., and in a building
in the rear, disconnected from the main store, is a store room for flour and feed, and in an adjoining room a storehouse
for salt. The main store upon one side has fine groceries, upon the other side boots and shoes, and the adjoining
show room has crockery on one side and jewelry on the other. Mr. Armstrong has a fine opportunity to take advantage
of the markets on account of his vast room for storing purposes. Both fronts of the second floor are used as offices.
In 1884 Mr. Armstrong admitted as partner Mr. E. C. Stevens, the firm name now being C. H. Armstrong & Co.
In 1854 Mr. Armstrong married Adeline M. Crowell. He is a Republican in politics, but is in no sense a politician,
devoting his entire attention to his business.
History of the Counties of
McKean, Elk, Cameron and Potter, Pennsylvania
J. H. Beers & Co. Publishers
Chicago, Ill. 1890
Potter County, Pa. Biographies
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium