J. B. PHILLIPS, merchant, Mount Alton, was born in New Richmond. Crawford Co., Penn., April 1, 1856, a son of
Ananias and Julia (Gale) Phillips. former a native of Washington county. N. Y., and latter of Plattsburg, St. Lawrence
Co., N. Y. His father located in Crawford county, Penn. when seventeen years of age, and was one of the pioneers
of that county. He is a farmer by occupation, and is still living. For many years he was an official member of
the Methodist Episcopal Church. and a prominent worker for the Republican party. J. B. Phillips was reared on the
homestead farm, and obtained a common school education. At the age of sixteen years he apprenticed himself to a
merchant at Mill Village, Erie Co., Penn., and remained with him three years. He was then in business for himself
six years at the same place. In 1881 he came to Bradford, MeKean county, and, in connection with his brother, A.
G. Phillips, engaged in the wholesale produce business. In the fall of the same year Mr. Phillips came to Mount
Alton, and has since conducted his present general store, and is also engaged in lumbering. In 1876 he married
Miss Clara, daughter of Gates H. and Sophia (Willey) Manross, natives of Erie county, and they have two children,
Harry B. and an infant. Mr. Phillips is a supporter of the Republican party, and has served as school director
of the township. He is trustee and steward in the Methodist Episcopal Church.
History of the Counties of
McKean, Elk and Forest,
With Biographical Selections.
J. H. Beers & Co., Publishers
McKean County, PA Biographies
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium