J. G. CURTIS, tanner, merchant and lumber manufacturer, Ludlow, was born in Fairfield county, Conn., November
7, 1830, a son of John and Lucy (Blackman) Curtis. John. Curtis was one of the pioneers of Fairfield county, and
a tanner by trade. Mr. Curtis received an ordinary education, and when eighteen years of age left home and learned
the machinist's trade at Naugatuck, Conn.; afterward went to Painted Post, N. Y., and later traveled as a journeyman
workman for several years. He afterward, in connection with J. D. Hamilton, of New York, built a tannery at Curtis
Station, N. Y., which they operated for eight years, after which he took charge of the Lehigh Tannery at White
Haven, Penn., for Thomas Smull & Sons, for three years. He then erected a tannery at Emporium, Penn., the firm
being styled Hamilton, Curtis & Co. In 1869 he came to Ludlow and built the present Ludlow tannery, making
harness and rough leather, associating with him Mr. Maxwell, in 1886, under the firm name of Curtis, Maxwell Co.,
for the purpose of finishing shoe leather. Mr. Curtis also operates an extensive mercantile business at Ludlow,
and is interested in manufacturing lumber. In 1855 he married Miss Mary Chambers, a native of Yates county, N.
Y., and they have two sons, Daniel and John S., living at home. Mr. Curtis is a supporter of the Republican party,
and he and family are members of the Episcopal Church. He has served as postmaster at Ludlow since 1882.
History of the Counties of
McKean, Elk and Forest,
With Biographical Selections.
J. H. Beers & Co., Publishers
McKean County, PA Biographies
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium