C. A. ANDERSON, merchant, Colegrove, was born in Warberg, Sweden, March 5, 1860, a son of Andrew and luga Anderson.
He attended school in his native country, when, his father having moved to the United States, he was anxious to
come and find him, but having no money he borrowed enough of a friend to pay his passage to New York City. From
New York he went to New Jersey, where he was employed two months in carrying water to a company of men working
on a railroad. Having earned a little money, he determined to come to McKean county. He landed at Ridgway, a small
boy without friends or money, and unable to speak the English language. Here a gentleman gave him money enough
to take him to Wilcox, thirteen miles away, and from there he walked to Clermont, where he found some of his own
country people, to whom he told his story. They furnished him with food and money enough to take him to his father
in Smethport. He found his father, who was not able, however, to support him, and a Mrs. Rifle furnished him with
a room and a bed, and he worked at anything he could find to do to obtain his food. After spending a week in Smethport
he accompanied his father to Colegrove, where the latter was employed by W. J. Colegrove, and he worked for his
board. His father left Mr. Colegrove in about two months, but he continued in his employ, remaining on his farm
until 1881, when he was employed as clerk in the general store of W. J. Colegrove & Son at Colegrove. This
partnership was dissolved, and C. M. Colegrove carried on the business until July 19, 1883, when he sold out to
Mr. Anderson, who, after a few months, admitted M. J. Gallup as partner in the business, and they continued together
until April 1, 1886, when Mr. Anderson bought Mr. Gallup's interest and has since continued the business alone.
Mr. Anderson has been a successful business man, and is highly esteemed hi the town of Colegrove. He has held various
township offices and August 1, 1883, was appointed postmaster. He was married April 25, 1887, to Miss Annie, daughter
of Conrad and Lena Bayer, of Norwich township. Mr. Anderson is a member of Norwich Lodge, No. 538, E. A. U., and
McKean Lodge, No. 388, F. & A. M. He and his wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
History of the Counties of
McKean, Elk and Forest,
With Biographical Selections.
J. H. Beers & Co., Publishers
McKean County, PA Biographies
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium