WILLIAM W. YOHO, who comes of one of the pioneer families of Lawrence County, Pennsylvania, is engaged in blacksmithing
at Wampum and has a large, well established business. He was born on the farm of his grandfather Wilson, in Wayne
Township, Lawrence County, July 7, 1868, and is a son of Daniel and Sarah (Wilson) Yoho.
John Yoho, grandfather of William W., was the first of the family to locate in this county. He was, born in Germany
and came to America at an early date, locating on a farm near the present site of Ellwood City. He cleared a farm
there, then moved to what is now the Sword farm near West Pittsburg, which he also cleared. He later lived in New
Castle many years, and spent the latter years of his life in Chewton, Wayne Township where both he and his widow
died. He married Nancy Dougherty, and of the ten children born to them Daniel was among the oldest.
Daniel Yoho was born in Lawrence County, and assisted his father in clearing the farm. He gained the reputation
of having killed more wild turkeys than any man in Slippery Rock Township, and William W. now has in his possession
the old turkey bone call he used. He, as well as five brothers and his father, were stone masons and did the mason
work for most of the old barns in their section of the county. Later in life he turned to agricultural pursuits,
at which he continued until his death at the age of seventy five years. He was survived by his wife, who died at
the age of eighty one years. She was in maiden life Sarah Wilson, a daughter of John I. Wilson, and was born in
the same log cabin as her son, William W. The following children blessed their home: John W., of Chewton; Elizabeth,
wife of Charles Coulter; Edward; George, who died at the age of six years; Elie; Ella, wife of Harry Garway; Mary,
wife of A. J. Freed; William Webber; and Harvey Daniel.
William W. Yoho was two years of age when his parents moved from the Wilson farm in Wayne Township to Chewton,
and there he received a very limited training in the public schools. At the early age of eleven years he began
work, his first position being with the Kirkland & Allen sawmill. He continued with them until he was twenty
one years old, then worked in the blacksmith shop of George Hermon for one year and eleven months. He next worked
eight months for C. W. Cook in the latter's blacksmith establishment at New Castle, and eighteen months in that
of John Parker at Hazeldell, after which he located at Wampum. He there formed a partnership with Frank Morrow,
under the firm name of Morrow & Yoho, and after six years of successful association Mr. Yoho withdrew from
the firm and built his present shop. He has done general blacksmith work, horseshoeing and repairing, and has met
with gratifying success.
In July, 1894, Mr. Yoho was joined in marriage with Miss Catherine McConahy, a daughter of Nathaniel McConahy,
and they are parents of two children, namely: Helen and Nathaniel. Fraternally, he is a member of the Knights of
Pythias, Order of Odd Fellows; Woodmen of the World; and Master Horseshoers' Association, No. 172. He is a Democrat
in politics, and is a member of the School Board. Mr. Yoho, in addition to his shop and residence in Wampum, is
the owner of property in Ellwood City. He is one of the substantial citizens of Wampum, and is held in high esteem.
20th Century History of
New Castle and Lawrence County
Edited By: Hon. Aaron L. Hazen
Richmond-Arnold Publishing Co.
Chicago, Ill., 1908
Lawrence County Pennsylvania Biographies
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium