E. P. WEINSCHENK, a well known and prosperous market gardener, of Shenango Township, was born in Shenango Township,
Lawrence County, Pennsylvania, May 20, 1877, son of George G. and Catherine (Sechler) Weinschenk. His father was
a native of Germany, and a son of John G. and Katherine (Better) Weinschenk.
George G. Weinschenk was born in Gerardstetten, Wurtemberg, Germany, April 10, 1835, and was reared to maturity
in his native land. He began to be self supporting at the age of fifteen years. When he was twenty two he went
to Havre, whence, in May, 1857, he sailed for America, landhag in New York city after an eventful voyage of thirty
five days. From New York he wended his way westward to New Castle, Pennsylvania, arriving there June 22, 1857.
He soon found employment with Mr. Butz, then the leading gardener of New Castle, and continued with him for two
years. Afterwards he worked awhile for. Mr. Peebles, and then went south, spending some five or six years in and
near Louisville, Kentucky. There he had charge of the private gardens of rich planters until conditions were changed
by the outbreak of the Civil War, when his services being no longer in demand in that locality, he returned to
New Castle and reentered the employ of Mr. Butz. After remaining thus occupied for a year he bought a tract, of
land in Taylor Township, where he was engaged in gardening for some eight years. He then sold out and purchased
twentyfour acres of land in Shenango Township, where he is now engaged in gardening, having about half an acre
under glass. He is a man of energy and frugality and has accumulated a fair amount of property in different parts
of the county. He and his first wife, Catherine Sechier, were the parents of the following children: William Henry,
a gardener and florist residing in Shenango Township; Annie M., wife of Charles F. Alborn; Alice; Margaret, who
is now deceased, and E. P. By his second marriage there were eight children, the six living being: Rosa, Samuel,
Catherine, Sarah, and Ruth. Those deceased are George and Frederick.
E. P. Weinschenk was reared and educated in his native township, attending the Lincoln school, and, later, the
New Castle Business College. He learned market gardening under his father, for whom he worked until 1905, at which
time he inherited his present farm of thirty acres. When he became possessed of the property there were almost
three acres more, which were taken by the Allegheny & Western Railroad. All but about half an acre is under
cultivation, being devoted to the usual table vegetables, such as lettuce, beets, cabbage, onions, parsnips, rhubarb,
asparagus, tomatoes, spinach, and radishes. His early lettuce and cucumbers are raised in a greenhouse, 226x60
feet, which he built in 1905. In 1907 he built an addition 112x26 feet. His business requires about ten hands on
an average during the summer. In 1905 he built his present residence, a tasteful structure with eight commodious
rooms. He also erected a boiler house, 30x32 feet in dimensions. Mr. Weinsohenk's industry and thorough knowledge
of his business have rendered him one of the prosperous and independent citizens of his township. In politics he
pays no strict regard to party lines, but votes for the candidate who, in his opinion, is the best qualified to
fill the office.
Mr. Weinsehenk married Etta M. Booher, daughter of William V. Booher, of Mt. Pleasant, Lawrence County. The family
are members of the Savannah Methodist Episcopal Church.
20th Century History of
New Castle and Lawrence County
Edited By: Hon. Aaron L. Hazen
Richmond-Arnold Publishing Co.
Chicago, Ill., 1908
Lawrence County Pennsylvania Biographies
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium