JAMES M. WATSON, formerly superintendent of the Lawrence County schools and now one of Wilmington Township's
excellent farmers, resides on his valuable property which contains eighty five acres of fine land, situated about
two miles from New Wilmington, on the Mercer and Fay highway. He was born October 30, 1844, in Lawrence County,
Pennsylvania, and is a son of William Jamison and Martha (MeBurney) Watson.
William J. Watson was a farmer on the old Watson homestead. He was a son of James and a grandson of John Watson,
who was the original settler on the place and who cleared it from the native forest. James Watson, the grandfather
of James M., was filling the office of sheriff of Mercer County at the time of his death.
James M. Watson enjoyed excellent educational advantages, attending Westminster College and the advanced schools
of Grove City and Edinboro, graduating at the latter, in 1883, third member in a class of thirty three. During
the Civil War he served under Capt. J. R. Kemp for eleven months and eleven days, being mustered in and out at
In 1864 Mr. Watson was married to Elizabeth Graham, who was a daughter of John and Margaret Graham, and they had
three children: Anna Martha, who married George E. Dannels, principal of the Highland Avenue School, has three
children, Eugene, Gordon and Helma; Nellie, who married M. D. McCarthy, has two children, Helen and Margaret, and
Margaret, who married C. W. Wilson, resides in Wilmington Township. Mrs. Watson died in 1895. Mr. Watson was married,
secondly, to Mary J. Bingham, who is a daughter of James A. and Sarah M. (Totton) Bingham, and they have three
sons, James B., Ralph E. and Theodore C. Mr. Watson is one of the leading members of the Presbyterian Church at
New Wilmington, and is much interested in the Sabbath school work.
20th Century History of
New Castle and Lawrence County
Edited By: Hon. Aaron L. Hazen
Richmond-Arnold Publishing Co.
Chicago, Ill., 1908
Lawrence County Pennsylvania Biographies
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium