JOSEPH KISSICK PEARSON, formerly a successful business man and respected citizen of New Castle, was born in
Lawrence County, Pennsylvania, May 14, 1838, and died August 14, 1892. He was a son of Samuel and Mary (White)
Pearson, old and prominent residents of this section. He was educated at Union College, Schenectady, N. Y., and
later went into the merchant tailoring business at New Castle, entering into partnership with his brother, David
Pearson. He was also interested in the limestone industry. He became a man of business standing, was respected
for his ability and integrity and in every way was considered a representative citizen. He was the promoter of
many of the city's public spirited movements, being a liberal contributor also to charitable and benevolent objects.
Mr. Pearson was married to Katherine De Groff, who was a daughter of Simon and Katherine (Dockstader) De Groff,
and a granddaughter of Daniel and Maria (De Groff) De Groff. The latter were prominent people at Fonda, N. Y.,
at one time owning one of the best farms in Montgomery County. To Mr. and Mrs. Pearson were born two sons and two
daughters, namely: Samuel De Groff, Edwin Joseph, Gertrude and Mary Louise.
Samuel De Groff Pearson was born June 4, 1877, and although comparatively a young man, ranks high in business circles
at New Castle, being president of the Croton Limestone Company and also president and general manager of a wholesale
tobacco concern. He married Florence Struuk and they have one daughter, Evylena.
Edwin Joseph Pearson was born May 20, 1882. He also is a business man, being interested in the iron business, as
was his maternal grandfather, Simon De Groff, a prominent iron manufacturer at New Castle.
Gertrude Pearson was born January 5, 1884, and Mary Louise June 14, 1889. These young ladies are highly educated
and both are prominent in New Castle society. Mrs. Pearson resides in the old Pearson homestead, an attractive
three story dwelling standing on Pearson Street, which conimands a beautiful view of the river and the city. The
farm of eighty acres is situated in Hickory Township, on the Harlansburg road, about two miles north of New Castle.
20th Century History of
New Castle and Lawrence County
Edited By: Hon. Aaron L. Hazen
Richmond-Arnold Publishing Co.
Chicago, Ill., 1908
Lawrence County Pennsylvania Biographies
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium