WILLIAM W. McCULLOUGH, a representative citizen and successful agricultur ist of North Beaver Township, residing
on a fine farm of seventy three acres, which he owns jointly with his wife, was born in Beaver County, Pennsylvania,
March 18, 1832, and is a son of Alexander and Jane (Peirce) McCullough.
Mr. McCullough was reared in Beaver County, his father being employed as a puddller in one of the large furnaces
in that section. When nineteen years of age William W. McCullough came to Lawrence County, and for six years worked
as a farm hand in Perry Township, after which he came to North Beaver Township. Prior to this change he was married
the first time, to Jane Hole, who was a daughter of John Hole. He was married (second) to Elsie Jane Wilson, who
is a daughter of William Wilson, who formerly owned the present farm. To the second marriage four children were
born, two of them, Clarissa and John, survive. Clarissa married William Alexander, and they reside on the home
farm. They have one son, Herman Elmer. John McCullough resides also on the home farm. He is in partnership with
William Gebhart in the threshing business.
In 1864, when troops were recruited, mainly for the defense of Washington city, during the Civil War, Mr. McCullough
enlisted in the Fifth Regiment, Pennsylvania Heavy Artillery, and served in this connection until the close of
the war. Although he escaped all serious injury, he took part in numerous skirmishes and en. gagements, and many
times proved himself a brave and efficient soldier. After being honorably discharged, he returned to his farm in
North Beaver Township, and resumed farming. In addition to carrying on a general agricultural line of work, Mr.
McCullough is interested, with his son in law, in growing fruit. They have fine apple, peach, cherry and plum orchards.
In 1884 he erected the substantial home residence, and in 1899, the large barn, making other important improve.
nients at various times. Mr. McCullough's farm is very favorably situated, lying on what is known as the Patterson
road, about two and one half miles northwest of Moravia. He is known as one of the town. ship's good citizens,
but has never involved himself in political struggles. He is a member of the Westfield Presbyterian Church.
20th Century History of
New Castle and Lawrence County
Edited By: Hon. Aaron L. Hazen
Richmond-Arnold Publishing Co.
Chicago, Ill., 1908
Lawrence County Pennsylvania Biographies
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium