S. CLARK McCREARY, a prosperous farmer residing on eighty eight acres of land in Neshannock Township, Lawrence
County, Pennsylvania, was one of the patriots who went forth in defense of the Union in the War of the Rebellion
not to return from the conflict unscathed. He sustained the loss of his right leg above. the knee, but with a soldier's
fortitude and without complaint he turned his attention to peaceable pursuits and achieved success. He is a native
of Neohannock Township, born December 8, 1838, is a son of Thomas and Jane (Lindsey) McCreary, and a grandson of
Samuel McCreary, the grandfather, was the first of the family to take up his residence in Lawrence County, coming
from Eastern Pennsylvania as early as 1802. He settled in the woods in what is now Hickory Township, erected a
cabin and set about the task of clearing, his farm of its timber and underbrush, a herculean task known only to
the pioneer. He served with credit during the War of 1812. His. wife's given name was Margaret, and they were married
prior to their arrival in this new western country.
Thomas McCreary was born in Nashannock Township, November 7, 1808, and engaged in farming there all, his life,
his farm being located along the creek in the eastern part of the township. He died in January, 1899. He was a
Whig, later a Republican in politics, and served as supervisor, overseer of the poor, and as school director. He
married Jane Lindsey, a daughter of George Lindsey, she being a native of what is now Wilmington Township, Lawrence
County. Seven children blessed this union, six of whom arrived at maturity, namely: S. Clark; Margaret (Pattison),
of Union Township; George L. a member of Company F, One Hundredth Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry, who was wounded
in the battle of Spottsylvania, and died while in the service; Baxter, of Los Angeles, Cal.; Henry, of New Castle,
and Nancy, deceased wife of Thomas Pomeroy, of Oregon. Religiously, Mr. McCreary and his wife were members of the
United Presbyterian Church, of which he was an elder about forty years.
S. Clark McCreary was educated in the schools of the. township and remained on the home farm until the war. He
enlisted August 31, 1861, in Company F, One Hundredth Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry, and was in the battles of
James Island, S. C.; Second Bull Run; and Chautilly, in which engagement he lost his limb. He received an honorable
discharge December 4, 1862, and returned to the home place, where he remained until his marriage. He then located
in New Castle and served as prothonotary from 1872 until 1879. In 1878 he purchased his present farm, which then
consisted of ninety six acres, and here he has since resided. He follows general farming and stock raising, and
at first was engaged in feeding cattle and sheep on quite an extensive scale. The farm is now under the care of
his son Elmer.
Mr. McCreary was united in marriage with Margaret Deemer, a daughter of Benjamin Deemer, of Venango County, and
they have five children: Jennie, wife of William V. Fisher, of Neshannock Township; Rev. Ira G., of Greenville,
Pa.; T. Elmer, who operates the home farm but lives on an adjoining farm; Nancy; and Harry D., who is a member
of the class of 1910 in Cornell University; and May, who is being reared by Mr. McCreary. Mr. McCreary is a Republican
in politics, and has filled various township offices. Fraternally, he is a member of Post No. 100, G. A. R., at
New Castle. Religiously, he is a consistent member and elder of the United Presbyterian Church, of which bis son
Elmer is also an elder.
20th Century History of
New Castle and Lawrence County
Edited By: Hon. Aaron L. Hazen
Richmond-Arnold Publishing Co.
Chicago, Ill., 1908
Lawrence County Pennsylvania Biographies
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium