GEORGE MARTIN, a leading citizen of Slippery Rock Township, whose well Unproved farm of 150 acres is situated
seven miles southeast of New Castle, was born December 17, 1839, in what was then Mercer County, Pennsylvania.
His parents were John and Margaret (Dodds) Martin.
William Martin, the grandfather, lived out his life in Ireland. He was the owner of a farm of some extent, which,
in that country is known as "forever land." John Martin, father of George, was born also in Ireland and
was reared to manhood on his father's farm. Six years after his marriage to Margaret Dodds he brought his family
to America and settled near Eastbrook, in Washington Township, in what is now Lawrence County. He continued to
live there until the death of his wife, in 1871, when he moved to the farm owned by George Martin, with whom he
lived until his death, which took place March 20, 1877. Of their ten children, two were born in Ireland and all
lived to maturity except one. The following survived youth: Elizabeth, who married Henry Gillespie, both deceased,
had two sons and two daughters; Anna, who married William McConnahy, both deceased, had five sons and three daughters;
Margaret, who is the widow of Robert Armstrong, has a son and daughter and resides with the latter, Anna Catherine,
who is the wife of Newton Nelson, of Lawrence County; Mary, who married Ezekiel Wilson, both deceased, had five
sons; James D., who married Amanda Garvin, resides at Lamar, Colo., and they have three sons and six daughters;
William, who married (first) Sarah Stewart, of Lawrence County, and (second) Margaret Dodd, of Westmoreland County,
has three sons and three daughters by his second union. He served three years of the Civil War as a member of the
Eleventh Regiment, Iowa Volunteer Infantry, and now resides at Eskridge, Kansas; George, Daniel C., who is a clergyman,
having a charge in Pittsburg, married Lucretia Mott McIntosh, who was named for the great Quakeress philanthropist,
and they have three daughters and four living sons, one being deceased. Thomas J., the youngest member of this
large family, resides on his farm in Wanbunsee County, Kansas, twenty five miles southwest of Topeka. In 1862 he
enlisted in Company F, One Hundredth Regiment, Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry, in which he served for three years,
taking part in many battles. During the battle of the Wilderness he was wounded in the leg and was sent to a hospital,
retuning to his regiment as soon as sufficiently recovered. At the battle of Spottsylvania Court House he was very
seriously injured, was again sent to a hospital and again returned to his regiment, finally receiving his honorable
discharge from the service. He married Jemirna Davis, of Lawrence County, who died in 1904, while they were living
at Crawfordsville, Iowa, after which he moved to his present farm. He has three sons and two daughters.
George Martin attended the schools near his home through boyhood and assisted in cultivating the home farm. When
the first call was made for soldiers in 1861, he enlisted under Col. Robert McComb, but the quota was filled before
this regiment was made up and their services at that time were not needed. Mr. Martin then went to Oil City, where
he worked for a year and then went back to the farm, taking the management of it for his father and operating it
until his first marriage, in 1866, when he moved to Washington County, Iowa, where he bought and operated a farm,
remaining there until after the death of his wife, when he came back to Pennsylvania, and after his second marriage
he bought his present farm. When Mr. Martin first acquired the place scarcely any improving had been done and little
clearing. Years of the utmost activity followed and he each year made improvements. In 1876 he replaced the old
barn with the present substantial structure, and in 1877 the old log house gave way to the present handsome residence.
The fine condition of his land gives testimony to the work that has been put upon it. Mr. Martin has carried on
general farming and has dealt largely in live stock and has been a heavy shipper of cattle to Pittsburg and Philadelphia,
and of mulch cows to the latter place.
Mr. Martin was married (first) to Marietta Hope, who died in January, 1871, in Washington County, Iowa. She was
a daughter of Hugh Hope, of North Beaver Township, Lawrence County. She left no children. Mr. Martin was married
(second) to Rosa A. Douthett, who is a daughter of William and Mary Douthett, of Brownsdale, Butler County, Pennsylvania,
of which place her father was a native. Her mother was born in Mercer County. Mr. and Mrs. Martin have three sons
and one daughter, namely: John W., who resides near Edenburg, in North Beaver Township, married Harriet A. Taylor
and they have three sons, Merle K., Francis R. and Paul E. Wilson D., residing in Iowa, married Susan McCleary;
George E. residing on Martin Street, New Castle, which was named in honor of his father, is a contractor, and married
Amanda Patterson; and Mary W., who married William Munnen, a farmer, lives near Hermon Church, in Slippery Rock
Mr. and Mrs. Martin are strong workers for the cause of temperance, Mrs. Martin being an active member of the W.
C. T. U. and Mr. Martin deeply in sympathy with the Prohibition movement. Mr. Martin has accepted no public office
except that of school director, but has ever shown his interest in the welfare of the community. He is a leading
member of the Covenanter or Reformed Presbyterian Church, and was a delegate in June, 1908, to the General Assembly
of this religious body, which was held at Philadelphia.
20th Century History of
New Castle and Lawrence County
Edited By: Hon. Aaron L. Hazen
Richmond-Arnold Publishing Co.
Chicago, Ill., 1908
Lawrence County Pennsylvania Biographies
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium