FRANK PIERCE MAJOR, who has been prominently identified with the business interests of Wampum for many years,
is proprietor of a general store which enjoys a liberal patronage of the people throughout that section of the
county. He was born in Mahoning County, Ohio, May 5, 1857, and is a son of William and Lena (Martin) Major, both
of whom were also natives of that county.
William Major, father of Frank P., had a farm near New Middletown, Ohio, and there followed farming throughout
his active life, but during his latter years lived at the home of his son, Frank P., at Wampum, where he died in
1903, aged eighty years. His wife died at the age of seventy years. They were parents of five children, three of
whom grew up, namely: George, Harvey and Frank Pierce, the latter being the only survivor.
Frank P. Major spent his early boyhood days on his father's farm and at the age of eleven years went to Boardman,
Ohio, to live with and work for William Walter, on a farm. He continued there for two years and then moved with
Mr. Walter to near Carbon, Pa. After three years spent at farming at that place he, in 1872, moved to Wampum, Lawrence
County, Pa., and for three years engaged as a day laborer in the limestone quarry. He was then ad vanced to foreman,
in which capacity he continued for seventeen years, during the last two of which he and Philip Fisher had the contract
for burning the lime. He next, in partnership with J. C. Cunningham, purchased the store of R. H. Aley, at Wampum,
which they conducted about three years under the name and style of Cunningham & Major. He then disposed of
his interest to his partner and purchased a half interest in the store of W. H. Braby. The firm of Braby &
Major endured for five years, and during the following five years Mr. Major was in partnership with H. J. McCready.
The McCready interest was then disposed of to C. E. Fitch and Edward Kay, the firm name being changed to F. P.
Major & Co. In 1905 Mr. Major bought the outstanding interests and has since carried on the business alone.
He carries a complete line of general merchandise, excepting boots and shoes, and has a well established trade.
In 1903 he erected his present commodious business block on the corner of Main and Railroad Streets, and he resides
in a handsome brick home on Main Street, which he purchased of the Davidson estate, it being the old Davidson homestead.
In 1876 Mr. Major was joined in marriage with Miss Catherine Cox, who died in 1881, leaving a daughter, Daisy,
who lives at Pittsburg and is the wife of F. S. Kees, and they have a daughter, Bernice. In 1884 Mr. Major formed
a second matrimonial alliance with Miss Hattie McAnlis, by whom he has one son, Glen. Politically, he is a Democrat,
has served twenty four years on the School Board and is at the present borough assessor. Fraternally, he is a member
of Wampum Lodge No. 865, I. O. O. F., and Wampum Lodge No. 229, O. U. A. M.
20th Century History of
New Castle and Lawrence County
Edited By: Hon. Aaron L. Hazen
Richmond-Arnold Publishing Co.
Chicago, Ill., 1908
Lawrence County Pennsylvania Biographies
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium