HAMILTON R. DUNLAP, senior member of the firm of H. R. Dunlap & Sons, doing business at No. 28 North Mill
Street, New Castle, is one of the early men in his line, having been identified with it more or less continuously
since 1873, in this city. Mr. Dunlap was born at New Brighton, Pennsylvania, May 8, 1843, and is a son of Gawin
and Elizabeth (Cunningham) Dunlap.
In 1849 Gawin Dunlap brought his family to New Castle, and for over thirty five years he was a clerk in the Cunningham
Foundry in this city, a faithful and efficient employe. He married a sister of R. W. Cunningham, who was the founder
of that business.
Hamilton R. Dunlap was six years old when the family came to New Castle and he had advantages in her excellent
public schools. He then learned the machinist's trade in the Cunningham shops and was working there when the Civil
War was precipitated. On August 28, 1861, Mr. Dunlap enlisted as a soldier in Company K, One Hundredth Regiment,
Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry, in which he served for two years and seven months, and then re enlisted in the
same regiment, on the field, and served until the close of the war, being honorably discharged July 25, 1865. Although
he was never injured so severely as to make a sojourn in a hospital necessary, he was wounded on three occasions
by a rifle ball and barely escaped death hundreds of times. He is an honored member of Post No. 100, Grand Army
of the Republic, at New Castle, and belongs to Camp No. 9, Union Veterans' Legion, in which he has passed all the
chairs and is serving as quartermaster.
When he returned to New Castle after the close of his long military service, Mr. Dunlap worked for six months in
the oil fields of Pennsylvania, engaged in dressing tools and running engines and then reentered the Cunningham
shops and completed his apprenticeship as a machinist. Following this he opened a shop and started to do gasfitting,
and when the city installed its water system he took in a partner and learned the plumbing business. In 1873 his
business was conducted as H. R. Dunlap, plumber, the present style having been adopted in 1889, when his two sons,
Harry L. and William H., became associated in the business, the firm name being then changed to H. R. Dunlap and
Sons. His son, Frank G., and his son4nlaw, Frank P. Andrews are now associated with him. This company is the oldest
plumbing and gasfitting concern at New Castle, and until 1907 Mr. Dunlap was active in all its work. A partial
stroke of paralysis caused him to retire for some months, but the natural robustness of his constitution is asserting
itself and in all probability he will soon again be the active head of his firm.
In 1866 Mr. Dunlap was married to Anna Bonhan and they have five children, namely: Harry L., Mrs. Ida. Andrews,
William H., Annie E., and Frank G. His three sons learned the business with their father, and both Harry L. and
William H. are operating shops of their own at New Castle, while Frank G. is associated with his father. In addition
to being a member of the patriotic organizations above mentioned, Mr. Dunlap belongs to the Order of Odd Fellows,
Lodge No. 195.
20th Century History of
New Castle and Lawrence County
Edited By: Hon. Aaron L. Hazen
Richmond-Arnold Publishing Co.
Chicago, Ill., 1908
Lawrence County Pennsylvania Biographies
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium