ROBERT S. CLARK, general farmer and dairyman, residing on his valuable property in North Beaver Township, where
he owns 130 acres which are situated within less than two miles of Mt. Jackson, on the Springfield and Mt. Jackson
road, belongs to one of the oldest and most honorable families of Beaver County, Pennsylvania. Mr. Clark was born
in that county, March 14, 1851, and is a son of William and Mary (Sherer) Clark.
The paternal grandfather, William Clark, was one of the early settlers of Beaver County. The materiial grandmother
of Robert S. Clark was a daughter of Charles Clark, and he was one of the original settlers in North Beaver Township,
coming from near Lewistown, Pennsylvania, with his uncle, Walter Clark. Charles Clark owned the farm on which Robert
S. now resides, locating here in 1802, and Walter Clark owned the land to the east of this farm. Charles and Walter
Clark donated the land on which the Westfield Presbyterian Church now stands, being founders of the same. The fatherl
of Walter Clark and grandfather of Charles came originally from Lancaster County to Lewistown, in 1750. Although
of the same name as the paternal ancestors, the families came from different branches.
William Clark, father of Robert S., was born and was reared in Beaver County on his father's pioneer farm near
Homewood. After the death of his first wife he bought a farm in Little Beaver Township, Lawrence County, and .there
he resided until his death, in October, 1901. He was married (first) to Mary Sherer, who was a daughter of Capt.
Robert Sherer, an officer in the militia, the Mt. Jackson Guards. At one time Captain Sherer owned and resided
upon a part of the present farm of his grandson, the latter of whom came to live with the grandfather at the time
of the death of his young mother, being then a babe of but four months and an only child. William Clark was married
(second) to Elizabeth Woodworth and six children were born to them, namely: William B., who resides on a farm about
two and onehalf miles we8t of Mt. Jaekson; Lydia, who married Charles Strohecher, lives four miles north of Enon;
Rufus, who is a farmer living in Little Beaver Township; Mary, who married James Boggs, lives near Enon, in Beaver
County; Evelyn, who is the wife of George Gibson, and Agnes, who is the wife of Wilbur Gray. Mr. and Mrs. Gray
live on the homestead in Little Beaver Township.
Robert S. Clark attended the neighborhood schools and was reared to agricultural pursuits. In early manhood he
married Nannie Imbrie, who is a daughter of Rev. P. R. Imbrie, who was pastor of the First United Presbyterian
Church of New Wilmington for a quarter of a century. Mr. and Mrs. Clark have seven children: William Imbrie, who
follows the profession of an architect, at New Castle, was married there to Ethel Rumberger, on May 19, 1908; Mary,
who married Guy Gilmore, has two children, Walter and Howard; Elsie, who has completed a three years' course at
Westminster College at New Wilmington, is a teacher of the Normal School at Marion, Alabama; Eleanor, who began
teaching school before she was seventeen years of age, is a graduate of the Mt. Jackson High School and of Westminster
College, and was recently elected principal of the Mt. Jackson High School; and George, Dale and Kenneth.
Mr. Clark gives his attention largely to dairying, keeping from eighteen. to twenty cows and operating a milk route
through the Seventh Ward, New Castle. For over twenty seven years he has been an elder in the Bethel United Presbyterian
20th Century History of
New Castle and Lawrence County
Edited By: Hon. Aaron L. Hazen
Richmond-Arnold Publishing Co.
Chicago, Ill., 1908
Lawrence County Pennsylvania Biographies
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium