HARRY B. CHAMBERS, who carries on general farming and dairying on his well cultivated tract of eighty three
acres of land in North Beaver Township, was born on an adjoining farm, June 4, 1866. He is a son of Hugh and Hannah
The Chambers family is one of the old and substantial ones of this section of Lawrence County. Capt. William Chambers,
a native of Ireland, the great grandfather of Harry B., founded it. The grandfather, Samuel Chambers, accompanied
his parents from Ireland and was reared in North Beaver Township, where he became a large landowner. The farm owned
by Harry B. Chambers was formerly the property of the grandfather, who erected the large brick house about 1850,
and later the commodious barn and other buildings. Hugh Chambers was twice married and had nine children by the
second union and four by the first. He died in March, 1903, on his large farm in North Beaver Township, surviving
his second wife, the mother of Harry B., for four years.
Harry B. Chambers was reared on the farm that adjoins his own. He was educated in the country schools and at Grove
City College, and then became a teacher. He taught for two years in West New Castle, one year at Moravia and one
year at Chew ton, meeting with success in the educational field.
In 1889 Mr. Chambers was married to Elizabeth Kelso, a daughter of John Kelso, and they have had five children,
namely: Howard, Harvey, Mary, Helen and Elizabeth. Little Mary died in her sixth year. Mr. Chambers came to his
present farm in 1899. It is situated on the Mahoningtown Covert road, about two and one half miles northwest of
the former place and the land is admirably adapted to both farming and dairying.
20th Century History of
New Castle and Lawrence County
Edited By: Hon. Aaron L. Hazen
Richmond-Arnold Publishing Co.
Chicago, Ill., 1908
Lawrence County Pennsylvania Biographies
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium