WILLIAM SHIELDS, retired, Clarington, was born in North Londonderry, Ireland, August 9, 1820, and is a son of
William and Margaret (Douglass) Shields. He was educated in Ireland, and in 1847 came to America, remainirig in
New York City for some time, then went to Putnam county, N. Y., where he obtained employment in the blacksmith
department of the West Point Foundry, remaining there three years. In 1850 he moved to Jefferson county, Penn.,
and obtained employment in the lumber woods. May 1, 1851, he came to Clarington, and for five years worked for
Mr. Armstrong. He then purchased the hotel known as the Shields House. which he conducted for twenty one years,
and since then he has been engaged in farming. Mr. Shields married, October 13, 1851, Miss Nancy Winlack, of Jefferson
county, Penn., and they have reared three children: W. D. and S. H., merchants in
Clarington, and Jennie, living at home. Mr. Shields is a member of the Democratic party and served five years as
justice of the peace.
History of the Counties of
McKean, Elk and Forest,
With Biographical Selections.
J. H. Beers & Co., Publishers
Forest County, PA Biographies
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium