Arthur Charles Vicary. No record of Erie County would be complete without an adequate reference to the life
and work of Arthur Charles Vicary, vice president of the Erie Steam Shovel Company. Mr. Vicary was born at LeRoy,
Genesee County, N. Y., Oct. 3, 1882, and is a son of Charles N. and Louise Haskins (Bailey) Vicary.
Charles N. Vicary was born at Morganville, N. Y., and moved his family from LeRoy, N. Y., to Canton, Ohio, in 1891.
He was engaged in the mercantile and banking business during his life and met with considerable success. He was
a public spirited citizen and was interested in practically every welfare movement in the community. He served
as president of the Canton, Ohio, Chamber of Commerce, Chairman of the Red Cross, and for many years was an elder
in the First Presbyterian Church. On May 18, 1921, he died and was buried at Westlawn Cemetery, Canton, Ohio. His
widow, a native of Bailey's Mills, N. Y., resides at Canton, Ohio. The following children were born to Mr. and
Mrs. Charles N. Vicary, in addition to Arthur C. Vicary, the subject of this sketch: Grace Louise, who was the
wife of John L. Pottorf, principal of McKinley High School, Canton, Ohio, she died Oct. 18, 1920; Marguerite Bailey
Vicary, who lives at Canton, Ohio; Carolyn Charlotte, a graduate of LaSalle Seminary, Auburndaie, Mass., and now
a student at the Women's College, Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio.
Arthur Charles Vicary spent his boyhood at LeRoy, N. Y., and when nine years old went to Canton, Ohio, with his
family, where he remained until 1902, when he entered Case School of Applied Science, Cleveland, 0. He graduated
from this institution in the mechanical engineering course in 1906. For a little over a year after his graduation
he was connected with the Dean Electric Company, Elyria, Ohio, now the Garford Manufacturing Company, and then
joined the forces of the Thew Shovel Company of Loram, Ohio, with whom he was connected until Sept. 1, 1913. Mr.
Vicary then located in Erie where he had interested the Ball Engine Company, now the Erie Steam Shovel Company,
in the manufacture of Steam Shovels, which was a new line for this old and successful concern, which had been manufacturing
steam engines for about 30 years.
At the time that Mr. Vicary's idea for the manufacture of steam shovels was accepted, only a small portion of the
Ball Engine Company's plant was allotted to this work. Later the engine business was sold to a Pittsburgh concern,
and the entire productive capacity of the plant, which has trebled in size since 1913, is devoted to the manufacture
of power shovels.
The Erie Steam Shovel Company now produces as many of the small 1/2 yd. and 3/4 yd. power shovels as all other
manufacturers of this type of machines combined. There are today over 3,400 Erie shovels and cranes in operation,
working in all paits of the world, but most numerous in the United States. The success of the Erie shovel is due
to an efficient organization throughout all departments of the business, which is well financed.
Mr. Vicary's ability to follow the trend of the times in the power shovel industry, coupled with the financial
strength and courage and the sound common sense of the officers of the Erie Steam Shovel Company, has made the
development of this concern read like a romance in the industrial world.
Oct. 6, 1908, Mr. Vicary was married to Miss Mary DeWolfe Wilmarth, a native of Glens Falls, N. Y., a daughter
of Clarence M. and Katherine F. (DeWolfe) Wilmarth, who were descendants of early settlers in that country. Mr.
Wilmarth was of Welch and Holland Dutch descent and his wife is of French and North of Ireland descent. Mr. Wilmarth
died Feb. 29, 1924, and his wife resides at Glens Falls, N. Y.
To Mr. and Mrs. Vicary have been born two children: James Wilmarth Vicary, a student at Choate School, Wallingford,
Conn.; and Louise DeWolfe Vicary, who resides with her parents.
Mr. Vicary is a Republican, a member of the Park Presbyterian Church, and belongs to the Phi Delta Theta fraternity,
Masonic Order, and the Erie Kahkwa and University Clubs.
History of Erie County, Pennsylvania
By: John Elmer Reed
Historical Publishing Company
Erie County Pennsylvania Biographies
Names A to G
Names H to P
Names R to Z
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium