J. Russell, a well known and substantial citizen of Erie, was born at Hooker, Pa., Feb. 25, 1851, and is the
son of Andrew and Phoebe (Jordan) Russell. Mr. and Mrs. Russell, deceased, were natives of Pennsylvania. Their
only child is J. Russell, the subject of this sketch.
J. Russell spent his boyhood at Hooker, Pa., and attended the public schools there. He was graduated from the School
of Pharmacy. Pittsburgh, after which he engaged jn the drug business at Sunbury, Pa., for four years. From there
he went to Pittsburgh and later to Clarendon, Pa., where he was employed by A. W. Storry. In 1890 Mr. Russell removed
to Erie, and in 1896 established a drug business on Buffalo Road. From 1905 until 1925 he conducted a drug store
which is known as the East Side Pharmacy. Mr. Russell handled a complete line of drugs, sundries, stationery, tobacco,
etc. He is also a prescription specialist, and had an extensive business.
In 1874 Mr. Russell was married to Miss Amy J. Campbell, of Hooker, Pa, They are the parents of the following children:
Winifred, deceased; Mrs. S. J. Drown, whose husband is a member of the firm of Drown Russell, leading real estate
operators of Erie; Maggie, married Dr. William Dill, a physician, Erie; John H., a member of the firm of Drown
Russell; and Dr. J. A. M. Russell, a prominent physician of Erie, with offices at 206 Masonic Temple Building.
Mr. Russell is a Republican, a member of the First Presbyterian church, belongs to the Independent Order of Odd
Fellows, and Royal Arcanum.
History of Erie County, Pennsylvania
By: John Elmer Reed
Historical Publishing Company
Erie County Pennsylvania Biographies
Names A to G
Names H to P
Names R to Z
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium