JOHN CHARLES SULLIVAN, M. D., Physician and surgeon at Du Bois, Pa., and one of the representative citizens,
was born in Armstrong County, Pa., October 31, 1866, and is a son of Owen and Bridget (Healey) Sullivan.
Owen Sullivan was born August 15, 1814. He was a son of Thomas Sullivan and Catherine (Moore) Sullivan. He was
the youngest of seven children, four sons and three daughters.
He was born on a farm near Tralee, County Kerry, Ireland. Came to the United States in 1847. Two brothers, John
and Thomas came to America later, but again returned to Ireland.
For many years he worked at the Great Western Iron Works, Brady's Bend, Pa. His latter years were spent in agricultural
pursuits on a farm in the beautiful Mahoning Valley, and there he died in honored old age, having reached the unusual
age of ninety two years and one month. His remains are interred in St. Charles' Cemetery, New Bethlehem, Pa.
Bridget (Healey) Sullivan was the daughter of Michael Healey and Julia (McMahon) Healey. She was born February
2 1837 in Ireland, on a farm near Gort, County of Gaiway. She was the eldest of seven children, three Sons and
four daughters. Michael Healey came to America in 1847, Mrs. Healey coming with her family two years later, in
1849. Michael Healey settled at Red Bank Furnace, Armstrong Co., Pa., and worked at furnaces in Armstrong and Clarion
Counties all his life.
Owen Sullivan and Bridget Healey were married at Sligo, Clarion County, Pa., June 16, 1859. To this union nine
children were born. Thomas F., of Pittsburgh, Pa.; John Charles, Du Bois, Pa.; Owen J., of New Bethlehem, Pa.;
James P., of Du Bois, Pa.; and Bridget E., of New Bethlehem, Pa. Michael C., who died November 1, 1895, at that
time was resident physician of St. Francis Hospital, Pittsburgh, Pa. He was a graduate of the University of Pittsburgh
in the class of 1894. Three daughters died in early childhood.
John Charles Sullivan began the study of medicine in 1887 and entered the Western Pennsylvania Medical College
at Pittsburgh, Pa., (now the University of Pittsburgh) from which institution he graduated in 1890. He located
at Du Bois, Pa., in April 1890, and at the present time is the third physician in town in respect to years of practice.
He is widely known and has taken much interest in medical matters in general in the county and has been particularly
interested in the Du Bois Hospital, of which he was one of the organizers and is a member of the staff.
Dr. Sullivan was married June 7, 1893, to Miss Susan Kane a daughter of Patrick and Mary Kane of Renovo, Pa., and
they have had eight children, namely: Eugene, Marion, Edward, Loretta, Loyola, John Charles, Susanna, and Jeanne.
Eugene lived but a few hours. John Charles lived but two years and six months.
Dr. and Mrs. Sullivan and family are members of St. Catherine's Roman Catholic Church, Du Bois, Pa. Dr. Sullivan
is identified with the Knights of Columbus. In politics he is a Democrat. Maintains an office in the Deposit National
Bank Building, while his residence is at No. 10 S. Main Street, Du Bois. Pa.
Note - Sketches unrevised by subscribers are distinguished by a small astrict (*).
Twentieth Century History of
Clearfield County, Pennsylvania
and Representative Citizens.
BY: Roland D. Swoope, Jr.
Richmond-Arnold Publishing Co,
Chicago, Ill. 1911
Clearfield County Pennsylvania Biographies
Names A to L
Names M to Z
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium