ALBERT S. BROWN,* who has long been one of the foremost business men of Osceola Mills, Pa., is secretary and
general manager of the Moshannon Coal Company, and has been an operator in the coal fields here for some eighteen
years. He is the present head of the well known mercantile firm of Brown, Baird & Reeves. Mr. Brown was born
in 1862, at Jersey Shore, Pa., and is a son of William A. and Mary A. (Smith) Brown.
William A. Brown is a member of an old family of Lycoming county, Pa. He came to Osceola Mills, where he still
resides, in 1864, in connection with the Moshannon Lumber Company, which concern cleared off the timber through
this section. In 1884, with his son, Albert S. Brown, he established the mercantile house of W. A. Brown &
Son, with which he is still identified.
Albert S. Brown was two years old when the family moved from Lycoming county to Osceola Mills and here he grew
to manhood. After his father retired from the lumber industry, he became associated with him in the general store
business under the firm style of W. A. Brown & Son, which continued without change of partners until 1903,
when A. S. Brown withdrew, selling his interest to a younger brother. The old firm disposed of their dry goods
department to Brown, Baird & Reeves, but retained the meat and grocery departments and still continue in those
lines. The latter firm was organized in 1903 by Albert S. Brown, Lawshe Baird and J. L. Reeves. They have a commodious
store, a large stock and do a satisfactory business. Mr. Brown has many additional interests. In 1893 he embarked
in the coal business as an operator, in partnership with a Mr. Dyer and the coal firm of Brown & Dyer remained
in business for ten years, in 1903 selling out to the Moshannon Coal Company. Of this company, Mr. Brown has been
the active manager ever since its incorporation and in the discharge of his duties has given evidence of much business
acumen. He is a director of the Osceola Water Company and of the Osceola Building and Loan Association, and was
one of the organizers of the Osceola Silica and Brick Company, and served on its directing board until the pressure
of other interests resulted in his withdrawal from this official connection.
Albert S. Brown was married to Miss Rosalie Merrill, who was born at Osceola Mills, and they have five children,
namely: Herman S., who is engaged in the insurance business at Osceola Mills, married Miss Maud Kline; Fred D.,
who is in the employ of Brown, Baird & Reeves; and Isabel, Dorothy and Carrie. For many years Mr. Brown has
been prominent in Masonic circles and is a member of Osceola Lodge, No. 181, F. & A. M., of which he is past
master; Jaffa Temple, A. A. O. N. M. S., at Altoona, and of the Consistory, at Williamsport. Mr. Brown has not
only been active and thorough going in relation to his personal affairs but has watched with interest and assisted
by his efforts and influence, the development of public enterprises in the borough. For six years he served usefully
as a member of the borough council, where his ripened business judgment was exceedingly valuable, and also for
eight years was borough treasurer.
Note - Sketches unrevised by subscribers are distinguished by a small astrict (*).
Twentieth Century History of
Clearfield County, Pennsylvania
and Representative Citizens.
BY: Roland D. Swoope, Jr.
Richmond-Arnold Publishing Co,
Chicago, Ill. 1911
Clearfield County Pennsylvania Biographies
Names A to L
Names M to Z
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium