Saint Bernard's Roman Catholic Church, Hastings, Pa., was built under the direction of Rev. Edwin Pierron, O.
S. B., and dedicated Jan. 18, 1891. He was succeeded successively by Rev. Innocent Andelfinger, O. S. B.; Rev.
Germain Ball, O. S. B.; Marcellus Retger, O. S. B.; Gabriel Schaller, O. S. B., and Stephen Wieland, O. S. B. The
Parochial School and St. Bernard's Convent were built under the supervision of Rev. Marcellus Retger, O. S. B.,
in the year 1914. The cornerstone of the new Saint Bernard's Church was laid by the Rt. Rev. John J. McCort, D.
D., bishop of the Altoona Diocese, on the 6th of May, 1923, and it was dedicated the following year on March 2,
1924, during the pastorate of the Rev. Stephen Wieland, O.S.B.
There are about 415 families in the parish and about 400 children attending the parochial school, in which seven
Sisters of the Immaculate Heart of Mary are teaching.
History of Cambria County, Pennsylvania
By: John E. Gable
Historical Publishing Company
Cambria County Pennsylvania Biographies
Names A to F
Names G to M
Names N to Z
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium