John W. Harrison is well known as a progressive business man of Nanty Glo, where he is superintendent of the
Heisley Coal Company. He was born in Durham County, England, June 8, 1871, and is the son of John and Ann (Alderson)
John Harrison, deceased, was a native of England and the son of Joseph and Hannah Harrison, who spent their entire
lives in England. John Harrison was a coal miner and after coming to this country in 1879 he worked in the mines
at Dubois, Clearfield County, Pa. He died May 2, 1907, and his wife, also a native of England, died Jan. 3, 1925.
They are buried in Salem Cemetery, Dubois. Mr. Harrison was a Republican and a member of the Methodist Church.
There were four children in the Harrison family: John W., the subject of this sketch; William C., lives at Nanty
Glo; Charles, lives at Irona, W. Va,; and Ellen, married Alfred Engel, lives at Dubois, Pa.
John W. Harrison received his education in the schools of England and Lycoming County, Pa. He has always been interested
in the coal business and began his business career with the C. B. C. Coal Company at McIntyre, Clearfield County.
He took a correspondence course in mining engineering and in 1897 became connected with the Berwin-White Coal Company
at Dubois. Later he removed to South Fork, and in 1899 entered the employ of the Argyle Coal Company as fire boss,
under the employ of Superintendent J. P. Wilson. Mr. Harrison removed to Westmoreland County in 1901, where he
served as mine foreman for the LoyalHanna Coal & Coke Company. The following year he went to Windber for the
Berwin White Company as foreman of Eureka Mine No. 36, and in 1907 removed to Ehrenfield, as division superintendent
of the Pennsylvania Coal & Coke Company, in charge of three mines. In December, 1910, Mr. Harrison went with
the J. H. Weaver Company at Idamar, Pa., and in the summer of 1912 returned to Windber as mine inspector for the
Berwin-White Company, and superintendent of Eureka Mines 37 and 40. In 1916 he came to Nanty Glo and was active
in the development of Heisley Mine No. 3. He has served as superintendent of the Heisley Coal Company since that
time. Mr. Harrison is a director of the Union Bank of Nanty Glo and the Peoples Building & Loan Association.
In 1892 Mr. Harrison was united in marriage to Miss Mary Moody, the daughter of Thomas and Christine (Reid) Moody,
natives of Scotland, who came to this country in 1880 and settled near Dubois, Pa. Mr. Moody is deceased and his
widow resides at Nanty Glo. To Mr. and Mrs. Harrison five children were born: (1) John W., Jr., born in 1893, is
a salesman for the Westinghouse Electric Company, married Helen Evans; and they have three daughters, Natalie,
Ruth, and Margaret; (2) Thomas, born in 1895, connected with the Reitz Coal Company, Central City, Pa., married
Florence Baker, and they have five children, George, Mary Grace, Elmira, Lucille and Thomas, Jr.; (8) Anna, married
Frederick Underwood Douglas Robbins, grandson of Frederick Underwood, president of the Erie Railroad, lives at
Chicago, Ill,; (4) David M., born in 1902, a student at Ursinus College; and (5) Clarence Edward, born Sept. 9,
1907, graduated from Franklin and Marshall Academy, 1925, Lancaster, Pa. Entered the U. S. Naval Academy at Annapolis,
Md., June 24, 1926.
Mr. Harrison is a Republican and has served as a member of the boro council. He is a member of the Methodist Church,
a 32nd degree Mason, and belongs to the Jaff a Temple and Shrine Club, Altoona.
History of Cambria County, Pennsylvania
By: John E. Gable
Historical Publishing Company
Cambria County Pennsylvania Biographies
Names A to F
Names G to M
Names N to Z
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium