Biography of George G. Cupp
Cambria County, PA Biographies





George G. Cupp, who is successfully engaged in the real estate business in Johnstown, is a member of a prominent family of Cambria County. He was born in Somerset Township, Somerset County, Pa., Feb. 2, 1878, and is the son of Philip and Catherine (Speicher) Cupp.

Philip Cupp, deceased, was a native of Somerset County, where he spent his entire life. He was educated in the district schools and began life as a teacher. He later engaged in general farming and stock raising on a farm of 175 acres in Somerset Township, and for many years specialized in dairy farming, and was the first farmer to ship milk from Somerset County to the city of Johnstown. Mr. Cupp was also extensively engaged in the lumber business. He was a Republican, held various township offices, and was an elder in the Brethren Church. He died in 1895, and his wife, also a native of Somerset County, died Jan. 6, 1925. Both are buried in Husband Cemetery, Somerset County. To Mr. and Mrs. Cupp were born five children: Linda, married H. L. Griffith, lives at Myersdale, Pa.; W. W., a farmer, lives on the old Cupp homestead in Somerset County; N. N., manager of the Cupp store, Somerset, Pa.; H. H., president of the Cupp Grocery Company of Johnstown; and George G., the subject of this sketch.

George G. Cupp attended the public schools of Somerset County and attended Juniata College. He was employed by the Love Sunshine Company, wholesale grocers of Johnstown, as a shipping clerk until 1899. He then engaged in the grocery business at Morrellville with his brother, H. H. Cupp. Mr. Cupp disposed of his interest in the business in 1904 and became interested in the wholesale produce and commission business at 609 Railroad Street, Johnstown. He sold this business to B. I. Walker in March, 1924. During this time he had various other business interests, owning an interest in a lumber business near Wilson, N. C., and an extensive real estate business in Philadelphia. In 1924 he founded the George G. Cupp Real Estate Company, dealers in city and farm properties, with offices in the Title Trust & Guaranty Building, Johnstown. At the present time Mr. Cupp is establishing sub agencies throughout the state, and eventually will extend his operations to New York and Ohio.

The Cupp Grocery Company, Johnstown, had its origin at Morrellville, in the business established by George G. and H. H. Cupp, the latter being president of this vast business enterprise.

In 1911 Mr. Cupp was united in marriage with Miss Nellie F. Wiand, the daughter of D. L. and Molly (Judy) Wiand. D. L. Wiand was born Jan. 31, 1857, the son of Hugh Wiand, who served throughout the Civil war as a member of Company I, Ninety third Regiment, Volunteer Infantry. D. L. Wiand began life as a farmer, later engaged in teaching school in Westmoreland and Somerset Counties for 25 years, and in 1900 removed to Johnstown, where he was connected with the schools for six years. He then became deputy for the Knights of Maccabees, with headquarters at Johnstown. He has served in this office continuously since 1906. Mr. Wiand is a Republican and has served as burgess of Dale Boro for nine years, as justice of the peace and school director. He is a member of the Lutheran Church, Maccabees, Patriotic American League, Independent Order of Odd Fellows, Latrobe, and Sons of Veterans. To George G. and Nellie F. (Wiand) Cupp a son, Louis Leroy, was born Aug. 6, 1914.

Politically Mr. Cupp is a Republican. He holds membership in the Lutheran Church, and Patriotic Order Sons of America. He is active in the Chamber of Commerce, and stands high in the community.


From:
History of Cambria County, Pennsylvania
By: John E. Gable
Historical Publishing Company
Topeka-Indianapolis, 1926

Privacy Policy for OnlineBiographies Counter

NAVIGATION

Cambria County Pennsylvania Biographies

Names A to F
Names G to M
Names N to Z

Online
Biographies

Pennsylvania
Histories

New York
Histories

For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium

Family Tree Maker 2012