Ray E. Brown, vice president of the Citizens Bank of Barnesboro, was born at Dysart, Dean Township, Cambria
County, Nov. 29, 1889, the son of George W. and Cordelia (McManamy) Brown.
George W. Brown was born in Dysart in 1862, a son of David Brown, an early settler of Richland, Dean Township,
Cambria County. George W. Brown was reared on his father's farm and followed farming until he was married at the
age of 23 years. Then he was engaged in mining, working in hard clay ovens, until 1904, when he worked as a carpenter.
He is now foreman in the carpenter shops of the Patton Clay Works, at Patton, where the family have resided for
the past 20 years. Mrs. Brown was born at Frugality, Cambria County, in 1863. To this union seven children were
born, all of whom are living except Howard, who died in infancy, and is buried at Richland, Pa. Mr. and Mrs. Brown
are members of the Methodist Church of Patton and are highly respected residents of the community.
Ray E. Brown was reared and educated in the public schools of Dysart and at the age of 14 entered the Patton High
School, from which he was graduated, later taking a commercial course. At the age of 18 years he began to work
as clerk in the Atlantic Refining Company's plant at Spang ler, where he remained for 18 months. He then was engaged
as a stenographer, teller, and finally assistant cashier of the First National Bank of Patton. From here Mr. Brown
went to Garrett, Somerset County, as cashier of the First National Bank, and remained 15 months. On Jan. 1, 1920,
he came to Barnesboro as cashier of the Citizens Bank and has held that position until Jan. 1, 1925, when he was
elected vice president.
Mr. Brown was married June 4, 1913, to Miss Anna Mae Monteith, of Patton, a daughter of Alexander and Catherine
(Wilson) Monteith. Mr. Monteith is deceased and his widow resides in Patton. Mr. and Mrs. Brown have a daughter,
Elsie Louise, born May 13, 1925.
Mr. and Mrs. Brown are members of the Methodist Church, and he is a member of the official board of trustees, of
which he is secretary. He belongs to the Masonic Lodge of Patton, the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, Williamsport
Consistory, Jaffa Temple, Altoona, Temple Club of Patton, and the Merit Club of Barnesboro.
The Citizens Bank of Barnesboro was organized locally during the latter part of the year 1919, and opened for business
on Feb. 9, 1920, in temporary quarters. As a result of the increasing demands of new business it was found necessary
to secure more adequate quarters which resulted in the erection of a modern, up to date, individual banking building
on the corner of Tenth Street and Philadelphia Avenue, during the year 1924. The exterior of the new building is
of Indiana limestone, which gives an impression of stability and dignity. The interior of the building affords
ample space for the convenience and accommodation of the ever increasing customers and friends of the bank.
During the five years just completed the bank has enjoyed a steady growth, which has been made possible by the
hearty co-operation of the stockholders and the many customers and friends who are being served by this institution.
The officers of the bank are: C. A. Sharbaugh, president; E. W. Walsh, vice president; Ray E. Brown, vice president,
and Ward R. Lewis, cashier. The board of directors is composed of the following men: C. A. Sharbaugh, E. W. Walsh,
H. B. McMillen, L. A. Bosserman, G. R. Anderson, N. F. Lambour, Ray E. Brown, F. B. Wood, A. A. Lieb, D. J. Bougher,
and N. B. McAnulty.
History of Cambria County, Pennsylvania
By: John E. Gable
Historical Publishing Company
Cambria County Pennsylvania Biographies
Names A to F
Names G to M
Names N to Z
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium