WILLIAM L. JONES, a well known citizen of Pittsburg [sic], Pennsylvania, now residing at No. 116 Lang avenue,
in that city, war for many years closely identified with the wholesale drug business of the state, and served with
bravery during the Civil war. He is descended from an old and honored family of Pennsylvania.
Rees Jones, father of William L. Jones, was born in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, in 1776. During the entire active
years of his life he was extensively engaged in the tobacco business. His death occurred in 1850. He married Catherine
Hubbard, deceased, and they had children: Paul, Catherine, Ellen, David, Lydia, William L., of whom see forward,
Marcus, Mary and George.
William L. Jones, third son and sixth child of Rees and Catherine (Hubbard) Jones, was born in Pittsburg [sic],
Pennsylvania, March 1, 1830, in the Frankstown Road, on the site of the present Pittsburg [sic] Hospital. His education
was acquired in the public schools of his native city, and upon attaining a suitable age he engaged in farming.
He was thus occupied until 1865, when he established himself in the wholesale drug business, which be conducted
on an extensive scale until he retired from active business life in 1880. He enlisted in the Severity-fourth Regiment
of Missouri in 1861 and held the rank of captain of Company G.. After serving with bravery be resigned in 1863.
He is a member of Hailman Lodge, Free and Accepted Masons, and also of Comrnandery No. 1, Knights Templars. He
is a man of inteljigence and refinement, devoting much time to reading, and entertaining liberal minded views on
all questions of the day. He married Mary Lang, daughter of Henry Lang, and has had children: Henry, William, Kate,
Rees, Lydia; Edward, Mary, who married a Mr. Armstrong, and Matilda, who died in 1864. Mrs. Jones died in 1888.
A Century and a half of
Pittsburg and her people.
By: John Newton Boucher
The Lewis Publishing Company
Allegheny County Pennsylvania Biographies
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium