Dr. Clifford Eccles Walker has won for himself a place of prominence in Forest Grove and the surrounding country,
both professionally as a Doctor of Osteopathy and as a man active in club and social life. Dr. Walker may well
be proud of his illustrious ancestors. In 1634 the first recorded member of that branch of the Walker family to
which Dr. Walker belongs was set down as Widow Walker, a member of the old Plymouth colony and one of the first
proprietors of the town of Rehoboth, or Seekonk, whereon is now located the city of Providence, Rhode Island. No
record has been traced as to her name, other than Widow Walker, nor of her husband having accompanied her to America.
She had three children, one of whom was Philip Walker, a man of prominence evidently, for the records show that
he was a member of the grand Bury in May, 1655, propounded for freedom in the same year and took the "Oath
of Fidelity" in 1658. The third generation is represented by his son, Samuel, who was born in 1655 and served
under Major Bradford in King Philip's war. He is recorded as cornet, lieutenant, captain and gent, which evidently
is meant to show his rise in the service and his title. After the close of the war he became a farmer and the owner
of some seven hundred acres of land. He was then representative to the general court. His son Peter (fourth generation),
was born in 1689, and his son, Aaron (fifth generation), was born in 1728 and served in Captain Bliss' company
of minute men and later as a lieutenant under Colonel Timothy Walker, evidently a relative The sixth generation
in the direct line is represented by Walter, the son of Aaron, born in 1766. He moved to Charleston, New Hampshire,
and like his forebears was a farmer. To him was born a son, John Curtis Walker, in 1806 (seventh generation), who
located at Waukesha, Wisconsin, in 1858. His son, Charles A. Walker (eighth generation), was born in 1854 and married
Miss Rena C. Carter, and to them was born Clifford E. Walker (ninth generation), at Northport, Wisconsin, January
14, 1882. Charles A. Walker migrated to Oregon in 1896, and died in this state in 1908. On his mother's side Dr.
Walker's grandfather, Myron C. Carter, served in Grant's army during the Civil war as a colonel in the engineers
and among Dr. Walker's most treasured possessions is a piece of cloth and a sprig of immortelles from the coffin
of that distinguished soldier.
Dr. Walker was educated in the grades at Chicago, Illinois, and attended high school at Portland, Oregon. He received
his medical training at the Still College of Osteopathy in Des Moines, Iowa, from which institution he was graduated
in 1904. He began his practice in Portland, Oregon, and remained in that city until 1909, when he located at Forest
Grove, where he has bunt up a large practice. Dr. Walker ranks as one of the leading osteopaths in the state and
one of the most popular physicians of any school in Oregon.
In 1907 he married Miss Mary E. Ladd, daughter of E. J. Ladd of Portland, Oregon. Mrs. Walker is a member of the
Woman's Club and is prominent in club and social life of the state. She is also a prominent member of the Anti-Tuberculosis
Association of Oregon.
Dr Walker is a thirty second degree Mason and a Shriner. Professionally he is a member of the Oregon Osteopathic
Society, the Western Osteopathic Association and the American Osteopathic Association. Both Dr. and Mrs. Walker
are influential and valued residents of Forest Grove and their position in the state is established.
History of Oregon Illistrated
BY: Charles H. Carney
The Pioneer Historical Publishing Company
Chicago - Portland 1922
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium