Judge James Corwin Fullerton, for sixty eight years a resident of Oregon, belongs to the type of men who conquered
the wilderness of the far west and helped to build the state of Oregon. He is a real "old timer," having
located in Oregon when the state which is now one of the most prominent and progressive in the union was a vast
prairie land, sparsely settled. Like many other prominent men of Oregon he is a native of another state, his birth
having occurred in Butler county, Ohio, in 1848. He is a son of John and Jane (Rolf) Bullerton, of old Ohio pioneer
stock. In 1849 John Bullerton migrated to California, assisting in building the first railroad on the Isthmus while
waiting for a vessel to take him to that state. For several years he mined in California but in 1852 made a journey
north and took up a donation claim on the South Umpqua river near Canyonville in Douglas county. In 1853 he was
joined by his wife and small son, James Corwin, and since that time James C. Fullerton has become a prominent factor
in the upbuilding of his adopted state.
James Corwin Fullerton received his education in the common schools of the county and assisted his father on the
farm. Upon the outbreak of the Civil war he became fired with patriotism and volunteered his services in the Oregon
Volunteers, with which he served until 1865. In 1873 he was appointed to the office of United States land receiver,
being located at Roseburg until 1885, when his service in that connection expired. While in the land office Judge
Fullerton took up the study of law and in 1879 was admitted to the bar. In 1889 he was elected to the state senate
and served during 1890 and 1891. In 1892 he was elected circuit judge and served on the bench until 1898. By the
justness of his decisions Judge Fullerton won the confidence of the lawyers and laymen of the circuit and the approval
of his fellow citizens. Upon retiring from the bench he began the practice of law at Roseburg, in which connection
he was active until his retirement, in 1921. He built up an extensive and lucrative clientage and has long been
judged a successful and brilliant attorney.
In 1874 occurred the marriage of Judge Fullerton and Miss Clara Bunnell, daughter of Dr. N. P. Bunnell, and their
living children are: Nathan, who is proprietor of the Rexall Drug Store of Roseburg; and Kate, the wife of Professor
Thomas W. Graham, of Oberlin College.
Judge Fullerton has always taken an active interest in politics and is a stanch supporter of the republican party.
He was one of the presidential electors who polled the vote of the state for William McKinley. In the civic affairs
of the community Judge Fullerton has always taken a prominent and active part and he has served both as a member
of the school board and the city council. In fraternal circles he is also well known, being an exemplary member
of the Masons and various other fraternal organizations. He is a past grand master of the Grand Lodge of Oregon,
A. F. & A. M. Judge Fullerton has made steady progress in his profession, wherein he has always adhered to
the highest professional ethics, and colleagues and contemporaries of the bar speak of him in terms of high respect.
History of Oregon Illistrated
BY: Charles H. Carney
The Pioneer Historical Publishing Company
Chicago - Portland 1922
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium