George E. Carnes is prominent in the mercantile circles of Pilot Rock as a member of Carnes Brothers Mercantile
Store, one of the best establishments of its kind in Umatilla county. He is a native of Illinois, born in Springfield
on the 24th of June 1873, a son of Charles and Mary (Clothier) Carnes.
When a small boy George E. Carnes removed with his parents to Salina, Kansas, where he resided until he was eighteen
years old, but in the fall of the year 1890 he removed to Portland and there started in life for himself. For a
number of years he worked for Jesse Evans, who conducted a dairy business, and in 1894 he went to Pilot Rock, where
he was connected with the sheep business for some time with his cousin Douglas Belts. In December, 1900, Mr. Carnes,
in connection with his brother, bought the mercantile business of G. P. Skelton, in the conduct of which they have
since been engaged. The store has built up a reputation for quality at fair prices and its patronage is of extensive
proportions. In addition to this business both brothers own fine ranches of one hundred and sixty acres each and
George E. is director of the First Bank of Pilot Rock, of which organization he is also a charter member. As a
representative of one of Pilot Rock's best business interests George E. Carnes has taken an active interest in
civic affairs and to that end has served on the city council for a number of terms. When Mr. Carnes was engaged
in the sheep business he won the distinction of taking the first flock of sheep from Pilot Rock to Dawson, Alaska,
without losing one.
In politics Mr. Carnes is a member of the republican party, of which he has been a stanch supporter since age conferred
upon him the right of franchise, and in fraternal circles he is known as a member of the Elks.
History of Oregon Illistrated
BY: Charles H. Carney
The Pioneer Historical Publishing Company
Chicago - Portland 1922
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium