HENRY STEELE ANDERSON.
A prominent citizen of Clackamas county is Henry S. Anderson, now judge of that county. He was born in Wayne county,
Ohio, May 31, 1851, son of Thomas J. and Margaret (Steele) Anderson who settled in Ohio in the early days. The
Anderson family was among the early residents of Pennsylvania, the home place being located near the historic town
of Gettysburg. The Steele family was originally from the north of Ireland, but for four generations had lived in
Ohio. Both families engaged in agriculture, and located on the present site of the city of Massilon, Ohio. The
grandfather of Judge Anderson, David Anderson, was for many years a county official in Ohio.
The elementary education of Judge Anderson was received in the grade schools of Ashland county and later at the
Savannah Academy at Ashland, Ohio. After graduating he took up the profession of teaching, which profession he
followed for twelve years, later removing to Illinois where he commenced farming. In 1902 he came to Oregon for
his health and seeing the splendid opportunities offered in this country he decided to settle here. He purchased
a farm of two hundred acres in Clackamas county. This land he planted to grain and took up the breeding of cattle.
In the year 1912 he was engaged in marketing the products of the Clear Creek Creamery Company, in which he was
interested. Being a man of public spirit and prominence in his county he was in 1913 elected county judge of Clackamas
county, which office he served with such a degree of success that! he was reelected for the term expiring in 1921.
During his incumbency in the office of county judge he was largely instrumental in the building of a good many
miles of macadam road, many substantial bridges, and in the last three and one half years laid more than sixteen
miles of concrete pavement at a cost of nearly one hundred thousand dollars, an improvement which was made to the
great satisfaction of the people of the county. He acted as food administrator during the World war.
At Belleville, Ohio, in the year 1877, Judge Anderson was united in marriage to Miss Hannah A. Dillon, a daughter
of W. E. Dillon, a New York manufacturer. To this union two children have been born: Margaret, who died at the
age of seven years, and Thomas E., who manages his father's farm and also the Clear Creek Creamery Company. He
is married to Neita Gerber and is the father of four children.
Fraternally Judge Anderson is an Elk and he is a member of the State Grange, which body he has successfully served
as master. Although public spirited to a marked degree Judge Anderson has never been an active politician, preferring
rather to devote his time to the discharging of his duties, which have been performed with marked ability and fairness,
and his intellectuality, business ability, and fidelity command the respect and esteem of every member of his community.
History of Oregon Illistrated
BY: Charles H. Carney
The Pioneer Historical Publishing Company
Chicago - Portland 1922
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium