F. J. WHITTEMORE, M. D., a prominent and leading physician and surgeon of Clyde, Sandusky county, was born in
Massachusetts, January 15, 1831. In the Williston Seminary of East Hampton, Mass., he was prepared for college,
after which he entered the New York University, where his literary education was completed, graduating in the class
of 1851. Later he became a student in the medical department of the same university, where he received the degree
of M. D. In Plymouth, Conn., he began the practice of his chosen profession, and remained there for ten years,
the following years in New Haven, Conn., until about four years ago, when he came to Ohio, leaving his son, a skillful
physician, in charge of his extensive practice. He belongs to the Allopathic school, and in New Haven did a general
practice; but since coming to the Buckeye State has made a specialty of chronic diseases, and his practice has
grown so rapidly that he has almost more than he can attend to. He has ever been a close student of his profession,
and well deserves the liberal patronage which he receives.
The Doctor is a son of Amos and Clara (Hamilton) Whittemore, both natives of Massachusetts, the former born at
Spencer, the latter at Chester. The father began business as an agriculturist, but later became connected with
railroad work, serving for many years as yardmaster. He was of English descent, the great grandfather of our subject
coming from Wales at an early day, locating in New England, where the grandfather was born. The maternal grandfather,
John Hamilton, came to the New World from Ireland, and during the Revolutionary war served as lieutenant in the
Continental army, which rank he was holding at the time of Burgoyne's surrender. The father of the Doctor was called
from this life about 1862, at the age of seventy six years; the mother passed away at the age of fifty seven years.
They left one son besides our subject - Louis W., a resident of Hartford, Connecticut.
At Plymouth, Conn., Dr. Whittemore was united in marriage with Miss Fallah Terry (now deceased), daughter of Eli
Terry, who made the first clock in this country, and was the first large manufacturer of clocks in the United States.
His father, a resident of. Windsor, Conn., constructed the first wooden clock. To the Doctor and his wife have
been born four children: (1) Dr. Frank H., a graduate of Bellevue Hospital Medical College, New York, who also
studied in Europe, and has succeeded to his father's practice in New Haven, Conn.; he is married and has one chuld
- E. Reid. (2) William R., who studied law, but is now traveling. (3) Clara, wife of Rev. E. Oakley, of Romeo,
Mich.; they have three children - Frank, Ralph and Roy. (4) Lillie (now deceased),who married Charles L. Knapp,
a manufacturer, of New York City; they made their home in Brooklyn. For his second wife Dr. Whittemore wedded,
in 1887, Miss Alice J. Blackman, of New Haven, Connecticut.
Although he has but lately come to Sandusky county, Dr. Whittemore has made many warm friends, and has secured
a lucrative practice. He uses his right of franchise in support of the Republican party; while in religious faith
he belongs to the Congregational Church. He occupies quite a prominent position among the medical fraternity and
holds memberships with the State Medical Association, and also with the Sandusky County Medical Society.
Commemorative Biograohical Record
of the Counties of
Sandusky and Ottawa, Ohio
J. H. Beers & Co. 1896
Ottawa and Sandusky Counties, Ohio Biographies
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium